Thread: smoked ham
View Single Post
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Ron_L

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

I am assuming that you have what is referred to as a green ham (not to be confused with green eggs and ham). Is it simply raw pork with no cure or anything? If you simply smoke it you'll just end up with smoked pork. To turn it into a ham you have to cure it. I'm not sure if anyone here has posted on how to do this, but here is one method that I found online...

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Cure-Ham-at-Home

Once you are done with the curing process then you can smoke it. There is a link in the article above on smoking it, but there is also a lot of info here. I've only started with a fully cooked ham, but I smoke it at 225 to 240 degrees until it is around 150 or so internal and then rest it. If you are cooking it for the first time I would think that you would want to take it to to at least that temp.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote