View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 AM   #4449
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemiller View Post
I think I red on one of the 150 pages I have red that people are having low temp problems because of to small of a starting fire. I am having problems with low temp. I have a 17" Weber grill with 6" of spread metal for the side.It is raised 2 1/2" above pizza pan. I have a 2" ex. and 3 (3/4") intake. Can any one help me get on the right track?
"I have red that people are having low temp problems because of to small of a starting fire."

Not true!! If you start with too much fire you will have a h$ll of a time getting temps back down. Best to start slow and watch the temp come up and damper down the intakes as the temp approaches your target temp. My first run on my drum I lit waaaay too many coals and had run away temps that I was never able to get back down(no food on drum). My next attempt I only used about 8 lit coals on top of about 10 lbs of unlit. By the time I got the basket of coals in and the two grates installed I was burning my hand and arm. I about 10 mins or less I had my temp of about 230*.

Go slow............

Paul B
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote