View Single Post
Unread 11-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStomach View Post
What's wrong with sugar? It's not like it's MSG.

I usually use my canned tomatoes, and if I don't add sugar, I'd have to cook them down for three hours to cut the acidity. No where near enough sugar that you can taste on the tomatoes, but wow on the acidity if it's not there!

EDIT: definitely agree with you on crushing by hand, gives a better presentation anyway and you can easily control how fine or course it is. I doubt a blender's blades would be able to cut the tiny seeds of tomatoes though.
LOL.. It depends who u ask. If you ask my stubborn old italian grandma about sugar in the sauce, she will flash you the stink eye, throw up the horns and start yelling in italian something about making her turn in her grave.

Shaved carrots or vidalias just take out the bitterness without adding sweetness or chaging flavor. Its more like a neutralizer.

i have found(and as vinny eluded too) that different brands have different levels of acidity. There are some brands that I avoid all together(red pack for instance) becase the tromatoes are very bitter compared to others. Rienzi, Centos, Luigi Vitelli, Nina, and the D.O.P san marzanos will yield a sweeter sauce than most store brands or domestic. Also, if you break the sauce by allowing it to come to a rapid boil will also make it bitter.

I have started liking the precrushed tomatoes lately.. i like the consistancy for a pizza sauce. if I want it to be chunkier, i will add one can of whole tomato crushed by hand and drained to the alredy crushed can, or do like diFara does and add a few hand crushed tomato right on top of the pie.

Also since I add a can of paste, that may also negate the need for adding sugar(or carrot). I find whe i add the paste it gives it a deeper flavor and without the paste, you have a lighter sauce.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote