View Single Post
Unread 11-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
icemncmth
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

It depends on what type of pizza I am doing. I make a lot of pizzas on my egg most just use a simple recipe..

1 large can crushed toms. I add to that some garlic, dried basil, oregano, a little S&P. I pinch of sugar if need...This is not a cooked sauce it is used for my Neapolitan style pizzas. I want a "fresh" tasting sauce not a cooked one.

If I am doing a cooked sauce I buy 2 large cans of crushed toms. In a pan I saute an onion, 6 cloves of garlic then add the toms. I let that simmer and taste. I add Salt Pepper and some dried red peppers. I add oregano during each step.

Now the important part. I taste the sauce. If it tastes good from the spoon I add more spices. The reason is most people don't think about the fact that the sauce needs to have a good full flavor or it will get lost in the toppings. One favorite trick of mine is to add anchovy paste to the sauce for some good depth. If you really want people to scratch their head cook some pepperoni and sausage in the sauce and remove it before cooking. Gives the sauce a nice flavor..!

I also like to spice up all my toppings including fresh veggies. I will take tom's and slice them, sprinkle salt and pepper on them and lay them between a lot of paper towels to absorb the moisture.

Remember one thing...Layer your flavors!!!!!

It is like a pot of stew you can throw everything in the pot at one time and it may look like a stew but it will be bland. If you brown the meat and ad spices then brown some onions..etc you "layer" your flavors..

Do the same thing with a pizza and people will love your pizzas.
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote