View Single Post
Unread 09-26-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
nolaman
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell7 View Post
Is there a recipe for the brine? Is it designed to " flavor " it , or some other purpose.? I hate being so ignorant , I've just never heard of that. I'm aware of doing that with squirel and maybe rabbit , but not chicken.
You can go to the bottom of this page to the google custom search bar,type in: chicken brine recipe. sfbbqguy posted a site I found helpful http://www.cookshack.com/brining-101#To528293329 I customized a recipe to suit my own needs. My son is visiting with us, is a diabetic so I omitted the sugar, and used a 50/50 mix of apple juice, and water. I cut the gallon recipe in 1/2. A quart in each gallon size ziplock,squeezing the air out was enough to cover the chicken. I marinaded the birds overnight, about 15 hrs. Drained, rinsed throughly,patted dry. placed in a pan, put back in the fridge to dry out the skin, about 4 hrs. Couldn't grill or smoke.Rained all day. Roasted in the oven. The meat was moist, tender, full of flavor. My only objection, I found the skin a little rubbery. Perhaps I need to let it dry longer.I will definetly try this again!!