View Single Post
Unread 03-05-2004, 06:39 PM   #29
midnight
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Well here it is! The finished product. I cured for 10 days, on day 9 I put pure maple syrup on half the pork and pure honey on the other half then put them back in the fridge.
Day 10: took meat out and soaked in a bowl of water for 2 hours, changing water once. This is to get rid of any left over cure and cut back on the salty flavor. After soaking I dryed them off and let them air dry for another hour.
Put into a cool smoker, about 100deg., for 45 min. then add wet wood to make more smoke, and crank the heat up to 200-225. Cook until meat reaches 140 and then take out of smoker.
The instructions claim that you can put meat in smoker for about 45 min. to get smoke flavor and then finish cooking in the oven, but why would you want to?

I let the cooked meat sit in the fridg over night before slicing it ond frying up a couple slices. Tasted very good just like bacon, only I couldn't tell the difference between the honey and the maple bacon. Next time I will put the maple and honey on just a few hours before I put in smoker.
Although my wife says she could taste the maple.
here are some pics of the finished product sliced and frying in a pan.

Down to one lonely ol' Bandera.
midnight is offline   Reply With Quote