Unread 09-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #32
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3 View Post
Ok... I seasoned the can last night and that went well. I was able to get up over 300° pretty easily, and then I started trying to control the temp. I realized there are two very basic ways to adjust the temp: the fire and the air flow. So, question 1 is which is preferred? Does it matter? From this, it sounds like I should give it as much air as possible and adjust the fire accordingly. True? Not?
Keep the exhaust stack open 100%. Adjust the fire by throttling down the air intakes. If you still have problems with low temps... check for air leaks... gaps in the lid/box openings. Use aluminum foil folded several times as a temp gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3 View Post
Question 2 has to do with the left over coal and ash once the food comes off the grate. Do you just let the fire burn out, or can you save the remaining coals in any way?
If you are running a very efficient burner that allows you to choke out the fire 100%... go for it.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote