View Single Post
Unread 09-04-2009, 05:05 AM   #4053
nomorecoop
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
OK, now that I have read the ENTIRE thread....... I have a question that I know hasn't been answered....can you really believe that???

As stated I have a coveted SS drum, measures 23" top and bottom, real pretty....hopefully going with everything SS. My question is.............how can I get the top off and still use it as a cover?? It is a rolled top and bottom drum. I do want to find a weber like dome lid eventually so I can have two cooking shelves. Sidenote: I have a line on a SS dome lid from Arctic for around $27 plus shipping, may eventually go that route. But in the mean time I would like to salavge my present lit so I can cook whilest looking for a dome.

Any ideas on how to remove a rolled lid and still use it as a lid???

Thanks,

Paul B
If you can find a donor drum, you can cut a lid off of it. I have a closed faced drum that I'm working on now. I left about 3/4 of a lip around the top of my drum (my lid had a raised groove about 1" from the edge. I cut just inside the groove. I cut the second lid as close to the ring as possible. To fit the grates in, I put a couple notches on either side of the lip leaving just enough room to get the grates in and hopefully still be airtight. My top grate rests comfortably on the 3/4" lip.

Another option (I'm doing this as well with a 3rd drum) is to cut the donor drum off below the high point of the middle top ridge. Use it as a super weber type lid.

Please keep in mind that I have no idea if this will work or not. This is my first UDS build and won't know if it works until next week when I season it.

Here's a couple pics.

3/4" lip

Lid #1

Lid #2
nomorecoop is offline   Reply With Quote