View Single Post
Unread 09-02-2009, 11:53 PM   #43
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Except what you actually claim. I am not knocking wet aging, its just not the same as dry aging (which you cannot use at competitions). It is different, it is a superior standard for, in fact, many large cuts.

I am not knocking you personally Bently, I would mention your legs if I were.

Just please, let's not at all create the mistaken impression that the age old technique of dry aging meats is the same as wet aging (which is okay) which according to LSU, University of Texas, and Texas A and M, originates as far back as.... uh.... vac packs.
OK, lets see if one of us can make this a “learning” moment, not saying which one right now.

Aging increases tenderness, I think we would both agree on that. I know you are a learned man when it comes to things like this so I will ask you if you agree that during the aging process certain changes take place in portions of the structure of collagen and muscle fibers?

If this is an enzymatic-caused change, does it matter if it is done in an anaerobic or an aerobic environment? My contention is no, it is that enzymatic-caused change in the structure of muscle fibers that are largely responsible for the increase in tenderness.

Flavor you say! Why yes I do, and this is where I believe we will diverge in our philosophies. Dry aging is going to produce that, well as others have put it “Musky” flavor, others will say that it is just a more intense flavor, Huza, have it your way this is America Damit! Personally if I want that I will pick up some 3 day old roadkill as I come home from work. I believe your Dry aging is more susceptible to your meat picking up more “off” flavors as well. This is where it becomes a matter of personal preference. I like mine wet aged, I believe the good literally outweighs the bad, pun intended!

As I see it, dry aging or wet aging is the reduction of moisture in the meat resulting in that enzymatic change and enhancement. Unless some Dry aging fairies come out that I am not aware of and do something to the meat when it is sitting on a shelf, I will need you to help me see why I would want to waste that 25-30% of my precious meat! I believe there are a few steakhouses in Chicago that will beg to differ with you too! I have no empirical date to back it up, but I believe someone was wet aging before the Cryo era.

In closing I will take my personal shot at you for the leg comment …after all this time reading your posts I though you were a forward thinking, not a knuckle-dragging go along with the main stream, will believe anything I read kind of guy, somewhat disaapointing! ...and my legs and teeth are the best parts of me!

I look forward to your observations of my analysis and pointing out the deficiencies!

Edit: What would make you think you could not dry age a piece of meat for a competition?
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote