View Single Post
Unread 02-16-2004, 07:35 AM   #11
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I miss being able to get reasonably prices brisket!!

Around the Tampa Bay area all I can regularly get are flats. Once in a while I run across whole packers but they still ask the same $2.12 a pound -- and I ain't paying that for fat cap!! :D

I have good luck with my flats but then I pay close attention and use bacon on top if it has no fat. Whole briskets are great and stay moist with little effort -- we've had many discussions on trimming, carving, etc., too so there are still a lot of questions out there. I had the benefit of 9 years in Texas and two years in a Texas cafeteria company to learn how to butcher, prep, cook, and carve brisket.

So, like I said, if I could get packer brisket at $.79-$.99 per pound that's all I'd cook. However at $2.19 or so I'd rather stick with a flat and use bacon! :D

The big key to brisket is low and slow, use your thermometers, mop/mop/mop/mop!! Patience will be rewarded.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote