Unread 02-16-2004, 01:10 AM   #10
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Re: 5 lb flat vs 14 lb packer brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko
I'm probably gonna jump into my first brisket next weekend, and I'm curious about something.

I don't see why you can't smoke a few five-pound flats instead of one big ass packer that's gonna take you 16 hours to smoke. Each flat should only take about 7 hours or so and you aren't up until the wee hours of morning or night tending a fire. The problem I have with doing a whole packer is that I either have to get up at 3:00 in the morning and start a fire or stay up late at night and not eat any brisket until the next day.

Can you really taste a difference? If the flat has a decent fat cap on it and you keep it moist, shouldn't it be just as good as a whole packer? Since I've never done a brisket I have no idea.

...?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saw a segment on TV about OK Joe's Brisket in KC.

They use a sugar based dry rub, just a little salt and their seasoning.

They smoke the whole brisket at 185 F for 16 hrs or until the internal temp reaches a certain point which they did not disclose. Then they cut between the point and the flat where they join togther. There is a fat line betwee the two parts and that is where they make the cut. The flat is then ready to serve.

Next, they trim the extra fat and outer crust and place the point back in the cooker for 4 more hours. At this point it is up to the Pit Boss to determin when the point is done, damn. They call this the "Burnt End" on their menue. They slice it into about 1.5 inch strips, then cut the strips into about 1.5 inch cubes annd serve about 14 oz of brisket with a dark vinigar based sauce of their making. Was drooling worse than my three dogs when I Q! The burnt end is their biggest seller on the menue.

Their process allows the flat to be tender and juicy when served and later the point with the same tender juicy results.

I have had good luck with my briskets using tk's Dr Pepper method along with HEAD COUNTRY Marinade but the small end has been too dry when the point is done just right. So next time, I am gonna try OK Joe's method.

On the show, the owner said that the point is a very tough piece of meat and needs the extra time to become tender and when they do, the point is great stuff (burnt end). They use the flat for Brisket sandwiches.

I got about 10hr burn time on my last Brisket using the basket as shown below.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote