The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Just getting Started??? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97478)

zwylde1 12-21-2010 03:48 PM

Just getting Started???

Hello All,

Brand new to the forum and sure glad I found this. Decided it is time to upgrade for the old standard Weber gas fired grill and step up to the next level of cooking over a smoker. Man it is overwhelming the amout and types of setups out there. So for now, just looking for a basic entry level unit and move on from there as experience and knowledge is gained.

Any recomendation from you all?

Thanks in advance. Great site!

deguerre 12-21-2010 03:58 PM

Get a Weber kettle. Grill or smoke to your heart's content. :becky:

JiveTurkey 12-21-2010 04:10 PM

Weber kettle.

beerguy 12-21-2010 04:13 PM

^^^^^^yep^^^^ you will find the kettle to be the most versitile piece of equipment you can own.

Mister Bob 12-21-2010 04:14 PM

Here is one path:
Start off with a Weber Kettle. The 22.5" OTS is $89.99 at Lowes or Home Depot. Learn how to set up for indirect cooking and you've got a start in BBQ.
Next get a Weber Smokey Mountain, or if you're even slightly mechanically inclined, build a UDS. You'll then be grilling on the Kettle and smoking on the WSM or drum.
From there you should be totally hooked and there's no turning back.
You might want a Big Green Egg for versatility, and so you can cook comfortably all winter.
Or a nice upright cabinet style smoker for more capacity so you can show off your skills to more people.
Eventually you'll want a big offset stick burner, just because it's cool and sexy.

deguerre 12-21-2010 04:30 PM

Let's see,
Four posts so far, four suggestions for a kettle...:becky::thumb:

(Well, OK, Mr. Bob plotted out the future too)

Chris_R 12-21-2010 04:37 PM

Agreed 100% on getting a Weber kettle. I'd look to get a used one off craigslist though. :thumb:

95% of the stuff I've smoked on my Weber has come out great, the other 5% was edible but operator error and could have been better :redface:

I'm to the stage now of wanting to get a WSM or build a UDS after the holidays get over with.

BBQ Grail 12-21-2010 04:40 PM

Keep the gasser, Weber kettles are too much work! :becky:

Moose 12-21-2010 04:46 PM

I'd agree on a Weber Kettle, not only is is great for grilling but you can also smoke on it too...although building a UDS is not only fun, but it's a really easy unit to operate that turns out great BBQ.

Drew 12-21-2010 04:50 PM

Another vote for a weber kettle.
Once you get one, you will never look back! :thumb:

imperfectutopia 12-21-2010 04:53 PM

Obviously not as popular, but for what its worth, a Char-Griller pro with the offset firebox is what got me hooked. It has a larger capacity than a weber if you plan on feeding more than a few people (like 10??? i dunno). Its light gage material, has a steep learning curve and takes attention but that was something i didnt mind (i like tending a fire). I have a small weber also, and i do prefer it for grilling, never tried smoking anything on it though. Anyway, CGP is an entry level offset style if you think you may get interested in stick burning in the future... ~ $150 bucks at kroger around here. Good luck and welcome.

blackdog043 12-21-2010 05:17 PM

Weber Kettle to start and you'll have a grill/smoker for a lifetime. Then if you want something more for smoking get a WSM or build a UDS. I vote UDS:becky:

Chef Jim 12-21-2010 05:19 PM

Weber Kettle, but start big, get the performer. Usually $329, but sometimes cheaper.

Cast Iron Chef 12-21-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Bob (Post 1490176)
Here is one path:
Start off with a Weber Kettle. The 22.5" OTS is $89.99 at Lowes or Home Depot. Learn how to set up for indirect cooking and you've got a start in BBQ.
Next get a Weber Smokey Mountain, or if you're even slightly mechanically inclined, build a UDS. You'll then be grilling on the Kettle and smoking on the WSM or drum.
From there you should be totally hooked and there's no turning back.
You might want a Big Green Egg for versatility, and so you can cook comfortably all winter.
Or a nice upright cabinet style smoker for more capacity so you can show off your skills to more people.
Eventually you'll want a big offset stick burner, just because it's cool and sexy.

Follow the path. I'm up to wanting the BGE. Can't wait for the conversation "Honey I need $10000.00 for the trailer smoker because it's just cool".

bigabyte 12-21-2010 05:47 PM

I use my Weber Kettles more than any other cooker.