The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brinkmann Smoke N Grill (ECB) Modifications (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93517)

hamiltont 10-06-2010 08:38 AM

Brinkmann Smoke N Grill (ECB) Modifications

10 Attachment(s)
A couple weeks ago I picked up a new Brinkmann Smoke N Grill (ECB) on Craig's List for next to nothing. I figured it would work great for short Que's orhors d'oeuvres. When I seasoned it the thing did okay for a while but then pooped out. Briquettes were buried in ash. So I did some research here, incorporating ideas from various posts. The biggest addition was the base of the unit. I purchased a Brinkmann Lava Rock Pan that is for an electric Brinkmann Gourmet Smoker, Part # 450-7010-0. Here's the link: http://cspoutdoors.com/relaropanfor.html I borrowed the charcoal grate from the Weber Smokey Joe. I'll have to get a replacement for it. Never know when you might need both.. Here are some pics showing the rest of the mods. I plan to give it a test run this weekend. I have no doubt it will work. I just may have to make a few tweaks. I'll post back with the results. Cheers!!!

sincitydisciple01 10-06-2010 08:57 AM

I'm on the verge of doing something similar. Father in law stumbled across a Brinkman @ a garage sale and gave it to me to tinker with. Did you use fiberglass rope your seal? If so, how did you get it to stick? I also read somewhere else that it tends to "shed" leaving threads on the food. Let me know how it goes. thanks!

hamiltont 10-06-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sincitydisciple01 (Post 1422955)
I'm on the verge of doing something similar. Father in law stumbled across a Brinkman @ a garage sale and gave it to me to tinker with. Did you use fiberglass rope your seal? If so, how did you get it to stick? I also read somewhere else that it tends to "shed" leaving threads on the food. Let me know how it goes. thanks!

I used something like this: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/pro...rce=GoogleBase & used the adhesive that came with it. I sanded & cleaned the area with lacquer thinner before applying it, and I use the adhesive to "seal" the ends of the rope. So far I haven't seen any fibers floating around but thanks for the heads up!! Cheers!!!

ATX21 10-06-2010 06:15 PM

I have that same ECB i am going to do some mods to it the main one is putting the leg on tthe out side and using 1/2 threaded rods to lift the charcoal bowl in the chamber a foot of the ground i only found zinc coated rods and washers will it be safe to use for this ?

---k--- 10-06-2010 06:40 PM

Looks good. :thumb:

I did similar mods to my charcoal pan and air intake. I didn't bother with the lid mod. I figured that I was going to be running it with the exhaust wide open, so it didn't matter where the exhaust was going. I was able to turn out some good BBQ with it. Held temps fairly solid.

hamiltont 10-07-2010 08:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Update: I fired up a chimney of briquettes last night ran it wide open for about a half an hour. Maxed at a little over 425F. Then I plugged the two 3/4" air intakes & the one 3/4" exhaust & throttled back the main air intake to almost closed. It held at 225F until the charcoal pooped out, about 3 hours total. I was a little surprised the factory gauge showed IDEAL at 425F. Pics below: Cheers!!!

bigabyte 10-07-2010 09:14 AM

Excellent work!:thumb: They really can be good little smokers with the right tweaks.

deguerre 10-07-2010 09:45 AM

Hmmmmm...and to think all I use my old one for is a rest stand for my chimney after I've lit it. Nice work!

theflints01 10-07-2010 10:01 AM

Why no pics of the food?

hamiltont 10-07-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theflints01 (Post 1424277)
Why no pics of the food?

Ahh yes. Food pics coming Soon. This was a maiden, dry run to season it & to get a feel for the performance. I'm sure the water & meat will have an impact but I'm pretty confident it will handle it with little issue. Cheers!!!

cowgirl 10-07-2010 11:13 AM

Great job on the mods Hamilton!

BBQ_MAFIA 10-07-2010 12:55 PM

Very nice. My ECB just sits in the back yard.
I can't remember when I last used it.

qnbiker 10-07-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamiltont (Post 1424156)
Update: I fired up a chimney of briquettes last night ran it wide open for about a half an hour. Maxed at a little over 425F. Then I plugged the two 3/4" air intakes & the one 3/4" exhaust & throttled back the main air intake to almost closed. It held at 225F until the charcoal pooped out, about 3 hours total. I was a little surprised the factory gauge showed IDEAL at 425F. Pics below: Cheers!!!

Great mod job! As for the 425* reading, when the fire is roaring on an ECB, side mounted thermometers read the heat coming around the water pan. Mine read 100* higher than a digital probe on the grate under these conditions, almost the same once it settled in. I took mine off and mounted it in the lid.

hamiltont 10-07-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qnbiker (Post 1424734)
Great mod job! As for the 425* reading, when the fire is roaring on an ECB, side mounted thermometers read the heat coming around the water pan. Mine read 100* higher than a digital probe on the grate under these conditions, almost the same once it settled in. I took mine off and mounted it in the lid.

Hey qnbiker, Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to compare temps next time it's runnin' to see what difference I have. Did you vent through the top or leave it as originally designed. I'm wondering if that will make a difference?? I'll find out... Cheers!!!

Big George's BBQ 10-07-2010 03:37 PM

Nice Work