The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fresh Steelhead from lake erie (UDS smoke) (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92944)

Rover >~<> 09-25-2010 07:03 PM

Fresh Steelhead from lake erie (UDS smoke)

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. I wanted to share these pictures and this smoke with you.

I was up at lake erie flyfishing yesterday and caught a beautiful steelhead which is basicly a large rainbow trout. This fish was gorgeous chrome and put up a heck of a fight. My goal was to preserve the freshness of this fish so i caught it, filleted it, and put it on ice. a few hours later it went right from the ice to the brine mixture ( salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, water). After 10 hours in the brine I dryed it with a paper towel, let it sit out in 65 degrees to get that tacky coating which is crucial for smoking, and it went into the UDS for 7 hours at 140-180 degrees over hickory and charcoals.

Attachment 45581
Attachment 45582

Kevin 09-25-2010 07:08 PM

You've got my attention. Smoking fish is what got me started in this adventure. That looks great!

Smiter Q 09-25-2010 07:17 PM

I love these "fish" threads that I read here on the forum. I have not fished in a number of years, but am getting the itch to do it again. Thanks for posting!

Question: How long does it have to sit out to get tacky, and how did you control the 65 degrees?

boatnut 09-25-2010 07:21 PM

nice steelie!!! which river? hope to hook up to some staging around the river mouths this fall.

heiny 09-25-2010 07:29 PM

looks good... never had steelie but your pic makes it look like something i would enjoy!

Rover >~<> 09-25-2010 07:50 PM

Thanks for the comments. It was caught near the lower access point on elk creek. And as for the itch to fish again. I get that feeling every day. I sware I have an actual addiction to fishing. Just talkting about it makes me feel like im suffering from fishing withdrawl. Normally I would release a beautiful fish like this but since many will not make it back to the lake alive I figured it was better suited for my awesome new UDS.

bluetang 09-25-2010 08:00 PM

Nice fish, fly fishing is so cool to me. Product looks fine too:thumb:.

Paulmark 09-25-2010 08:07 PM

Nice job, great pics too, thanks for posting:clap2:

JD McGee 09-25-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover >~<> (Post 1412771)
Thanks for the comments. It was caught near the lower access point on elk creek. And as for the itch to fish again. I get that feeling every day. I sware I have an actual addiction to fishing. Just talkting about it makes me feel like im suffering from fishing withdrawl. Normally I would release a beautiful fish like this but since many will not make it back to the lake alive I figured it was better suited for my awesome new UDS.

I agree! :thumb: I grew up on Lake Erie as a kid (Painesville, Ohio) and all I ever caught was sheephead and perch...:rolleyes: Nice catch...even better smoke...:cool:

cowgirl 09-26-2010 12:57 PM

Wow... Looks great!

Phubar 09-26-2010 01:06 PM

Thanks Bro'!
Nice colour on that smoked Phish!

Shiz-Nit 09-26-2010 04:48 PM

nice indeed and that looks like a real nice time you had.