The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   KCBS awards ceremony question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92238)

ZILLA 09-12-2010 08:36 PM

KCBS awards ceremony question

When the awards are taking place and the winners are being announced do you see teams getting up and leaving before they announce GC and RGC before it's all over?

ThomEmery 09-12-2010 08:46 PM

VERY rarely because you just do not know who it will be

Harbormaster 09-12-2010 08:48 PM

Guess I never paid attention to it.

I would never leave. He!!, I'm a good sport and I want to know who to congratulate before I leave.

thillin 09-12-2010 09:11 PM

Darwin, i think we see it happen in IBCA & LSBS because people usually know the top 2 before they even announce them.

Plowboy 09-12-2010 09:13 PM

Sometimes. And other times they are lining up to get their results.

ZILLA 09-12-2010 09:14 PM

Yep Ty, Your right and it really pisses me off. I just wondered if the KCBS folks experience the same thing.

CivilWarBBQ 09-12-2010 10:16 PM

Only if it's raining.

You'd look like a total tool, and everybody has to wait until the end to get their score sheets anyway.

Smokedelic 09-12-2010 10:19 PM

Most of the time, I see that it's people running up for score sheets, but not leaving the awards.

JayAre 09-13-2010 07:29 AM

Ive seen the GC leave the contest before awards were announced...bad form imho...

ThomEmery 09-13-2010 07:36 AM

Yes that happens sometimes

Scottie 09-13-2010 09:46 AM

Leaving a contest before rewards shows no respect to the organizer or anyone else involved witht he contest. If you are that important or have that many things to do, that you have to run out from a contest, then don't go. It was done at Thom's contest and it was bullsh!t. that team should of planned his time better. Can't hang around for an extra 2 hours for awards? Too bad.

PimpSmoke 09-13-2010 09:53 AM

I stick around, I gotta see who won so I can shake hands and stuff.

tmcmaster 09-13-2010 10:55 AM

It's just simple common decency to stay for all the awards. No matter how foregone a conclusion the GC is, or RGC, there is never a reason to leave early. In my mind, if you can't stay for all of it, just stay in your pit and pack your gear.

ZILLA 09-13-2010 11:24 AM

Seems like the further south I go the worse it is. At some contests it seems like most folks treat the announcement of GC as a minor formality. The Judging officials try very hard to tabulate the overall scores as quick as they can so there are still some folks around to announce to. I wish there was a way to correct this. To me it's like a dinner guest getting up when they're done eating and going home without a word to the hosts.

thillin 09-13-2010 12:02 PM

Down here since only the top 10 in each category gets points, it not as wide a margin as KCBS. But it bugs me as well. I usually have the trailer packed and ready to go after awards since I usually have to get up at 4:30 the next morning, but I stick around till the end. What's an extra 5 minutes?

In my area, It seems alot of cooks are tired of seeing the same cooks win. I actually try to improve techniques and flavor profiles to join them in the walks. Seems alot just want to keep cooking the same and moan about who's in the top 10.