The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket Challenge: Brisket, charcoal grill, 2 hours-what to do (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91223)

fireman_pete 08-27-2010 02:26 PM

Brisket Challenge: Brisket, charcoal grill, 2 hours-what to do
 
Hi All,

We have been asked to be part of an informal BBQ Contest in October. One of the items that want us to cook is Beef Brisket. Ok, no problem.

However, we only have 2 hours to cook (+ 1 hour to prep) and only have a charcoal grill to use.

what would you do?

We were thinking cut the brisket into steaks, and try cubbing the point for quick burnt ends and Brisket Steak?

Looking for all the crazy ideas and suggestions.

Thanks

Pete

Bigmista 08-27-2010 02:27 PM

Politely decline.

jimmyinsd 08-27-2010 02:28 PM

with that time frame, hot dogs.....:razz:

fireman_pete 08-27-2010 02:30 PM

I know, I know. I am still hoping they made a mistake and give us a Tri-Tip. That is what we did last year.

However, I forgot to mention that this informal contest is in Vegas, and has $25K in prize money :-)

We will also be cooking chicken, sausage and pork tenderloin!

cgwaite 08-27-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista (Post 1383202)
Politely decline.

I fully agree! I would let them know exactly why, too!

Groundhog66 08-27-2010 02:35 PM

I have never known of a brisket that can be done in 2 hrs, looking forward to hearing the ideas.

jlondon 08-27-2010 02:38 PM

I agree with Bigmista and cgwaite. Why play along with rules set-up for failure?

jimmyinsd 08-27-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman_pete (Post 1383206)
I know, I know. I am still hoping they made a mistake and give us a Tri-Tip. That is what we did last year.

However, I forgot to mention that this informal contest is in Vegas, and has $25K in prize money :-)

We will also be cooking chicken, sausage and pork tenderloin!


well since you put it that way... what about injections and super hot and fast? i have never done one this way, but many on here have talked about experimenting and have had success. (although i dont remember them coming off that quickly)

fireman_pete 08-27-2010 02:52 PM

I have some ideas and was going to play this weekend, but wanted some input and ideas from the Brethren!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyinsd (Post 1383222)
well since you put it that way... what about injections and super hot and fast? i have never done one this way, but many on here have talked about experimenting and have had success. (although i dont remember them coming off that quickly)


BobBrisket 08-27-2010 02:55 PM

If you chopped up the flat and point into let's say, 1.5-2" cubes, you guys think you could get at least some kind of burnt end in the full two hours maybe either indirect or on a REALLY hot smoker? I'm curious as to whether a 2x2" inch brisket cube could be done that fast. Otherwise, I have no idea how to do a whole packer or even a flat in only 2 hours.
Bob

JD McGee 08-27-2010 02:56 PM

:rofl:

HawgHeaven 08-27-2010 02:56 PM

Are they supplying everything? Meat, charcoal, grill, etc?

1FUNVET 08-27-2010 03:02 PM

Maybe they are using it as a quik fire pilot for next years Pitmasters.

OK teams you have 2 hrs to cook a brisket.
If you fail to cook a wonderful tender brisket you have to pack your pit and go home.
Good smoking luck :becky:

Groundhog66 08-27-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1FUNVET (Post 1383235)
Maybe they are using it as a quik fire pilot for next years Pitmasters.

OK teams you have 2 hrs to cook a brisket.
If you fail to cook a wonderful tender brisket you have to pack your pit and go home.
Good smoking luck :becky:

That's funny right there....:clap2:

mbshop 08-27-2010 03:11 PM

seriousely, do they know what a brisket is ? maybe wrap in foil and cook at 500 deg ? will come out mushy, just the way they like it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.