The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   dumb MOINK ball question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81059)

backwoods 03-24-2010 09:54 AM

dumb MOINK ball question
 
First off ill say that im a horrible cook and normally burn toast. I built my first UDS and want to cook some MOINK balls and a fatty this weekend to see how bad i can screw it up. I tried to search for the answer to this question but maybe its so dumb nobody else has had to ask it. :confused:

How do you know when the MOINK balls and the fatty are done? I can stick a thermo in the fatty but what temp do i pull it at? I assume the balls are too small to use a thermo. Do i just pull them when the bacon looks done?

bigabyte 03-24-2010 09:56 AM

When the bacon is done. The meatballs are precooked, so you are basically overcooking them, so the best part is the bacon and glaze (if you use one), so make those parts the best you can for the best experience.

Ron_L 03-24-2010 10:23 AM

The man with the top secret signature is right on with his advice on MOINK balls. For the fatty, you should cook it until the internal temp is at least 165.

chambersuac 03-24-2010 10:53 AM

Warning! Make at least twice as many MOINK Balls as you think you'll eat...and at least TWO fatties. Trust me on this.

backwoods 03-24-2010 01:33 PM

good advice guys. Im probably making this more difficult then it really is.

One other dumb question while im lowering the brethren I.Q. level. Im going to put some chunks of wood on top the the charcoal, do i need to soak them in water?

chambersuac 03-24-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backwoods (Post 1225495)
good advice guys. Im probably making this more difficult then it really is.

One other dumb question while im lowering the brethren I.Q. level. Im going to put some chunks of wood on top the the charcoal, do i need to soak them in water?


Chunks, no. Chips, maybe (but usually not).
Don't worry - asking is the best way to learn what you wanna know.

The BBQ QB 03-24-2010 01:50 PM

Should I ask my dumb MOINK ball question here as well? Is this the current official Dumb MOINK ball question thread? 'Cuase I have one

Mike D

chambersuac 03-24-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The BBQ QB (Post 1225518)
Should I ask my dumb MOINK ball question here as well? Is this the current official Dumb MOINK ball question thread? 'Cuase I have one

Mike D


Ask away...

MRI_Guy 03-24-2010 01:54 PM

Another tip - don't use colored toothpicks or you will end up with stained balls.........I'm just sayin.

And don't make falafel based MOINK balls or your kids will need therapy.

The BBQ QB 03-24-2010 01:55 PM

OK,....Here goes.

Are toothpicks part of the MOINK ball itself or simply a means to adhere luscious, juicy, delicious, bacon around the ball?

I know that it makes them handy as an appetizer holder, but must they be used for it to be a true MOINK ball?

Mike D

chambersuac 03-24-2010 01:56 PM

good advice, MRI-Guy...also, no plastic toothpicks...

chambersuac 03-24-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The BBQ QB (Post 1225523)
OK,....Here goes.

Are toothpicks part of the MOINK ball itself or simply a means to adhere luscious, juicy, delicious, bacon around the ball?

I know that it makes them handy as an appetizer holder, but must they be used for it to be a true MOINK ball?

Mike D


They are not NECESSARY for them to be "authentic" - but they are pretty much needed for holding the bacon in place...if you find another way to keep the bacon on, please let us know. I guess you could use skewers....

NeoTrout 03-24-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRI_Guy (Post 1225522)
Another tip - don't use colored toothpicks or you will end up with stained balls.........I'm just sayin.

Especially blue toothpicks. Blue toothpicks = Blue Balls. :laugh:

backwoods 03-24-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoTrout (Post 1225527)
Especially blue toothpicks. Blue toothpicks = Blue Balls. :laugh:

Never good!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked:

Mattzilla 03-24-2010 02:47 PM

When I wrap my MOINKS I put them on a skewer. I fit 5 on each one. Easy to handle and we can just grab a stick and relax.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.