The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Announcements and news (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Grand Poobah Soapbox... RE:Word Replacment, hijacks, etc.. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8061)

BBQchef33 04-24-2004 12:27 PM

Grand Poobah Soapbox... RE:Word Replacment, hijacks, etc..

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAl
Wait till Mary gets back to crack some NUTZ!

Maybe she's sick of it too.

I would pay to see the look on her face when you asked her.

*** WARNING Will Robinson ***
Off Topic Grand Poobah Soabox to follow. And you only THOUGHT I wasn't around.

General announcment...
RE: Word Replacment utility
Hijacking Forums and Threads

ladies ladies ladies ...

I was catching up on reading posts and could not make sense of some stuff because of the editing of done by the word censor. That is how I noticed we have a bit of a phantom running around.... :?

So, Uncle Mary is here.. just cause someone messed with the word censor, and that aint gonna happen again.. right? This leads me to a few different topics and to kill a few birds with one stone(pun intended).

So here is MY .02 cents.. which will equate to a lottery windfall in this particular situation. :twisted:

I dont like any form of Spam.. I hate the email type and dont remember the luncheon meat(term used loosely) type cause its been that long since i ate it. We seem to have both appearing on the site.

HOWEVER.. Spam the meat..... it is edible, it can be smoked, fried and cooked.. and just like Dave Littles dislike for Lamb, in contrast, I like lamb(somewhat).... We are both entitled to our preferences. I cook lamb, and dave buries it in the yard.

Well.... Some members like that spam stuff and enjoy it and even worship it if they so choose.. others cant stand it.... thatrs just fine... I personally, dont add anything to the Spam threads cause i am not a fan of it and choose NOT to engage in it. But there are those who like it and they choose to share there exploits with other members who like it. Thats what we are all about. In this forum, they are entitled to share adn post without being trashed. If I see Spam stuff, i just read past it. I have heard members discuss Smoked Bologna. Have I tried it, no, but bologna is a procesed meat product, in my opinion, not far off from spam... and no one was trashing that. So, my recommendations, if ya dont like the spam stuff, dont discuss it, let those who enjoy it do that. BTW, I like Boarshead Bologna, no other brand though.

On the other hand, Spam(meat) has shown up everywhere.. cattle call threads have been hijacked with the stuff, Discussion and Reflections threads out of the blue get Spam refrerences. Tag lines are littered with it and its just inciting more SPAM talk. Spam(the meat) has turned into SPAM(Unsolicited email/postings). I have seen legitimate threads from new members get hijacked with Spam references. No more of that. If anyone wants a legitimate thread to post spam receipes or whatever in qtalk, its on topic and legit, but we need to stop littering the board with refrences to fake meat.

So I am not going to even ask which one of the admins used the admin privledge inappropriately and messed with the word censor.. editing the word Spam to the spam d'jour. I just put word replacment back to the way it should be and I am confident that our admins will NOT mess with it again. That word censor from this point forward is OFF LIMITS for anything but official REAL USE. It currently replaces only 2 words and their variations. It will stay that way.

I'm done now..

maybe I'll go make an Bologna Omlette.

BTW, This "Quest" thread started with Sixgun trying to find a place to buy a Bandera. Somewhere it went to hell and back and then went to the bahamas, and is somewhere, but i havent caught up by reading backwards yet......

So in the immortal words of many a member..

BACK ON TOPIC!

Hows that Quest going?

willkat98 04-24-2004 02:55 PM

I agree Phil (not that you are looking for my .02) but I think you need to stress that if you want to talk about it in Q Talk, then thats were it belongs.

I just hate people asking me to admin this guy or that guy cuz SPam is in Reflection threads, Cattle Call threads, Requests, etc.

If I go move someones post, I get accused of being the net nazi or something.

The Janitor idea was good, but we are now 300+ and need to self police.

I have not added to the pro or anti spam camps lately, for I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

My personal view, go nuts. Talk spam all you want. Share recipes. Inject yourself to death. I don't care. But can we please, as a group, I am NOT singling out anyone here, can we please try to keep Spam talk in Q talk where it belongs.

Now let me clarify. Lets all keep it in QTalk in Spam threads. We don't need to see a new brother asking about frying a turkey and see a fried spam post.

If you want talk fried spam, just start a new thread.

Secondly (whoa, you would think I own this site. No, I am only making adult suggestions) the word censor is now off limits. I did not do the recent round of word censor changes, but as Phil said, it is now off limits.

Third. Gentlemen, you know who you are (I am one of them) update your profiles. Lets get rid of the pro spam, or anti spam, in the signatures. "How dare Chi-Bill impose his will on us!" Wait!!. Hear me out.

We got like 330 members here. I'll pick out 2. Hornbri and Mook. These 2 guys seem like they could fit right in with us. Well we also got alot of what I call "hit and runs". Sign up, look around, and don't see them again. (Where is that guy from Romeoville Greg?) So we are all in the marketing department. Why would we desire to scare off new members from posting. If I were Dingleberry, and I am, I would say, this group is too cliquey (the spelling on that is farked up, how do you say, clique-y) meaning inside jokes. If people come on, see nothing but **** that only pertains to a select few, then they dont' feel they belong.

Look at me, Mr. Blah Blah Blah. But I always try to welcome everyone as best I can, edit out the crap that is deemed offensive (by common sense standards) and make sure new guys feel at home. I like the fact that Hornbri and Mook seemed to fit right in. Its for people like them (and us) that this was created. By the way H and M, where the fark is BigMoFo? There is room for his 300# ass here too.

Slat is a great marketer. He is always sending PM welcomes to people.

I am babbling, and it's ony 3pm.

So let's clean up the Spam crap and keep it in Q Talk. Yes, I am a moderator, but not a baby sitter.

Thank you for your time

willkat98 04-24-2004 03:02 PM

Hey, that 3300 posts.

Breathing now

willkat98 04-25-2004 09:36 AM

I liked my original title to this thread better.

Mary's Soapbox :)

Bigdog 04-25-2004 09:54 AM

As the former spokesman for the Spam=**** Campain, I feel obligated to respond here. It was not my intent to make anyone mad or drive away any new members with my Spam talk. If I did so, I am sorry. It was all good natured fun, and I believe that most people took it that way, right Al? I still hate Spam, probably always will, but I respect other people's opinions. This diversity of people is what makes us as a group and as country great.

I also agree that we (including myself) need to be more careful with our insider humor when talking with new members. We need new members, and need to be careful to not scare them away. If they stick with us, they will soon realize that they are one of us, and will be accepted. This is not an exclusive club, rather a diverse one.

Finally, I agree that we have beat this topic to death, and need to move on. Lets find something else to pick on. :lol: My .02

BBQchef33 04-25-2004 11:08 AM

Ok, i will clarify.. I really doubt anyone got mad here. I am just "moderating" us back on track. The point I was addressing was the repeated use of the word replacment feature being misused. Thats my point. so be it that it was the spam stuff that prompted it, but i would have posted this for anything that was being replaced that was not, lets call it, "official business". That was my concern, what goes on behind the scenes of the site.

Bill however, has more focus on whats up front. He brings out legitimate points. The insider humor was not apparant to me, but he and bigdog are 100% right. We had a little thing a while back where we appeared Clickish.. we neet to be aware of that and make sure it dont happen.

The Spam stuff was just becoming litter showing up everwhere. We are not saying not to discuss it. Members really like it, cook it and munch it. We just would like it, just like everything else to stay in its place. If its legit stuff, it stays in Qtalk, or even woodpile for on/off topic, but it has no place in someones cattle call.. that was the point. We go thru this every so often and we need to be re-railed and regroup.

We are growing very fast, need to make sure that when the new members arrive, they are handed a beer and a slice of brisket. Some of you have taken upon yourselves the job of welcoming committee.. thats is so incredible of you. New members come in and immediately get private welcomes.. Its a great thing and many new members have sent me emails commenting on that. I thank our welcoming committee for helping us to grow and expand.

No more from me.. Im done now.. again. :)

brdbbq 04-26-2004 07:20 AM

I fess up. But never been called Will RObinsov, whoever in the hell that is. So I apologize to all. Now does anyone want to help me move ? :-)

willkat98 04-26-2004 07:38 AM

Phil, it was pure coincidence that I spelled stop like that yesterday

BBQchef33 04-26-2004 09:04 AM

Quote:

Fred.. Go eat a mushroom. :twisted:

brdbbq 04-26-2004 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:

Fred.. Go eat a mushroom. :twisted:

Me thinks he did in his younger years.

willkat98 04-26-2004 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brdbbq

Me thinks he did in his younger years.

You mean last week?

rusold 04-26-2004 05:49 PM

Phil,

I am probably the "oldest" new member (joined just before the web site was created - and yes I wined to you and/or Bill about it a bunch - but am happy now). That said I thought the spam stuff was fun (took part a bit). As to inside jokes/comments - there is a literary (sp - writing) technique where the author conveys more feeling by not giving all of the facts - that is what I have always have gotten from posts of that type - even if I don't really know exactly what people are talking about I stiill get the spirit of the moment - and that is what I think this place is all about.

R

rusold 04-26-2004 05:56 PM

Phil,

I read your post - responded - went to first post on the page from Racer
And guess what - SPAM :lol:

R

midnight 04-26-2004 06:44 PM

Don't you think its ironic that you want to stop/slow down all the talk about SPAM and now we have 12, no make that 13 replies all talking about ......SPAM :wink:

Just a thought.

BBQchef33 04-26-2004 09:27 PM

geez guys.. it wasnt the SPAM talk.. it was word replacement i was addressing originally.... Spam happened to be what was replaced... but anyway... moving right along..