The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's smoking this weekend? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8056)

BigAl 04-23-2004 12:39 PM

What's smoking this weekend?
 
What are you Brethren gonna smoke this weekend?

I'll not be Qing till the snot is gone, it is still comming down and I need to go out and plow the drive way and "road" up to the main hard top street before it get much deeper. :roll:

So I need to see pics of the fine Q you brothers turn out this weekend. :D

Or at least read about it.

And I have a question, have any of you taken a frozen Brisket and seared it while it is still frozen and then put it in the Smoke chamber?

Reason for the question is, I went to an old meat processing plant out in Elizebeth (even more rual that where I live) and bought a big farking frozen porterhouse steak. The older lady there told me that I would have the best results if I seared the steak while frozen inorder to "lock in the moisture" and then grill as normal. I did and it was real good. So I wonder if that would also work on a Brisket. Sear and then Smoke. So what do you think?

willkat98 04-23-2004 12:45 PM

I often though about smoking from near frozen or very cold, after someone here posted about meat only absorbing smoke at lower temps.

With that in mind (if true) would searing only harden the outside to prevent smoke absorbtion?

But it sounds good if all you were after was sealing in the juices, as your taste test proved.

I don't know. Good question Al.

Solidkick 04-23-2004 12:47 PM

Only have today off, then work 6 straight, so I'm resting and won't be cooking. It's not that I didn't give it a thought, though!! I'll just thaw out some pulled pork left over from Easter, or make a trip to Bandana's latter. Got to have my Q!!

kcquer 04-23-2004 12:59 PM

Thank You Brother Bill for the So Flav. I will be grilling only this weekend and I am having so flav chicken boobs and shrimp.
Quote:

With that in mind (if true) would searing only harden the outside to prevent smoke absorbtion?

But it sounds good if all you were after was sealing in the juices, as your taste test proved.
To me this is the smokers paradox. Everything that keeps juices in keeps smoke out, or so it would seem. The OL likes her steaks med and I like mine a bit rarer so I always put mine in the freezer after seasoning and hers in the frige so they cook in the same amt of time. Always assumed mine was juicier just due to being less done, maybe there is more to it than that.
Big Al I'd be delighted for you to try it and tell us how it comes out! :wink:

BigAl 04-23-2004 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willkat98
I often though about smoking from near frozen or very cold, after someone here posted about meat only absorbing smoke at lower temps.

With that in mind (if true) would searing only harden the outside to prevent smoke absorbtion?

But it sounds good if all you were after was sealing in the juices, as your taste test proved.

I don't know. Good question Al.

I asked the 'matic to pick up a Brisket a while back and she came home with a 4-5 lb point, so I put it in the freezer and went out got a whole brisket. So I have the point and I'm gonna give it try, will post results.

ringo 04-23-2004 02:43 PM

AL

Smokin a nine pound brisket as we speak. It's been soakin in brine and apple juice for two days and is about half cooked or so now. It looks great. True story on the meat only accepting smoke until about 140 degrees. Learned it from a man who has won many awards on his smoked meat he sells at his butcher shop.

Ringo

2Fat 04-25-2004 09:56 AM

Re: What's smoking this weekend?
 
[quote="BigAl"]What are you Brethren gonna smoke this weekend?

quote]

Well there is a flat of chicken thighs cooking away along with one tray of butt chunks, a tray of turkey legs(brined overnite) and a loaf of country style venison sausage

will put on a couple racks of loinbacks on the bws later

parrothead 04-25-2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

butt chunks
no comment

hornbri 04-25-2004 04:47 PM

I got a 5lb flat and a couple pork loins going right now. Its a wondeful day in northern CA.

willkat98 04-25-2004 06:52 PM

I pan fried some boobs then fineshed them in the oven.

very good, but not Q

VERY windy here. too much to even grill.

Have a good one brothers.

mook 04-25-2004 09:22 PM

I hate working weekends. I am getting very jealous of the rest of you though. I will be doin a pork loin and a turkey breast on thursday. maybe that should be the start of next weekends whats cooking.

Hope you all enjoy the Q.

Cuelio 04-26-2004 12:42 PM

Smoked some country style ribs. Mmmm good. Great smoke ring, meat falls off and pulls like butt. Makes sense since I think I read somewhere that country style ribs were slices of shoulder, not actual ribs. Is that true?

Arlin_MacRae 04-26-2004 01:04 PM

WARNING:
Sob Story Ahead

Sort of....

I bought a nice nine-pound brisket Saturday (at 88 cents a pound-woot!) and 150 lbs of smokin' wood at Albertson's, cuz I was out. I fired up some of the mesquite to cook burgers that night (OK, so I'm nuts) and the stuff just sat there and sizzled instead of burned. Wet, wet, wet... Instead of driving across town to a sporting goods store to get wood that has been sitting inside I went to the local place where it sits out. Duuuuh. I dried it in the sun all day yesterday, but now my brisket is not to be schmoked until NEXT weekend. <cry>

I did do some lovely rib eyes on the grill side last night, though (with mushrooms). Does that count?

racer_81 04-26-2004 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
WARNING:
Sob Story Ahead

Sort of....

I bought a nice nine-pound brisket Saturday (at 88 cents a pound-woot!) and 150 lbs of smokin' wood at Albertson's, cuz I was out. I fired up some of the mesquite to cook burgers that night (OK, so I'm nuts) and the stuff just sat there and sizzled instead of burned. Wet, wet, wet... Instead of driving across town to a sporting goods store to get wood that has been sitting inside I went to the local place where it sits out. Duuuuh. I dried it in the sun all day yesterday, but now my brisket is not to be schmoked until NEXT weekend. <cry>

I did do some lovely rib eyes on the grill side last night, though (with mushrooms). Does that count?

Penalty Beer Mod


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.