The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "Porky", Gamey", "Disgusting" Flavor (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78838)

Boshizzle 02-20-2010 11:26 PM

"Porky", Gamey", "Disgusting" Flavor

I had some pork at a restaurant the other day that was just really bad. It had this strong "porky" flavor. I have noticed that flavor several times in pork but this was the worst.

What causes it? Is it the pork? It is the age of the pork? Is it the cooking method? How can it be avoided?

BBQ Grail 02-20-2010 11:28 PM

What causes pork to taste porky?

Meat Burner 02-20-2010 11:33 PM

^^^ wandered the same thing.

BBQ Grail 02-20-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 1189786)
^^^ wandered the same thing.

I was going to say PORK. But I didn't want to be captious.

Boshizzle 02-20-2010 11:35 PM

Funny, guys.

dwmckay99 02-20-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1189787)
I was going to say PORK. But I didn't want to be captious.

Captain Captious of the most captious who guided the most captious climber of The Captious Nation who sits atop Mt. Captious?:?::icon_wink

HumboldtSmokeBBQ 02-20-2010 11:49 PM

maybe it is all the pig in pork? i say it tastes piggy...

Meat Burner 02-21-2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1189789)
Funny, guys.

just farkin with you bro! All in fun with the brethren. Good question but it was just wide open for a right hook.

LT72884 02-21-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1189782)
I had some pork at a restaurant the other day that was just really bad. It had this strong "porky" flavor. I have noticed that flavor several times in pork but this was the worst.

What causes it? Is it the pork? It is the age of the pork? Is it the cooking method? How can it be avoided?

I have noticed that to but whats odd is i like the pork flavor more than the smoke. i like to taste the meat. I noticed your title said gamey, now thats a flavor i am not found of. i dont mind smoked food from an electric smoker at all because then there is no risk of odd flavors from charcoal or bad wood. Back to my original statement of noticing the to porky of a flavor. Maybe age or even a salt solution caused it. i have not had pulled pork for about 7 months due to this same issue. I lost my appetite after i had some odd tasting pulled pork. i even tried to smoke some in November but just reminded me of the bad stuff and i just couldnt eat it..

Woodreaux BBQ 02-21-2010 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boshizzle (Post 1189782)

Maybe you meant "ham like"? that would be from the salt in the rub staying on for more than 24 hours. just my 0.02

River City Smokehouse 02-21-2010 01:44 AM

If you meant ham like flavor then it could have been a enhanced pork product. A lot of packers are enhancing their products with a salt solution that actually cures the meat to a point, giving the end result a ham flavor. If you are talking about a gassy rotten smell then it's time to throw it out. Many packers inject CO2 into the package before vac sealing, and it gives a gassy odor. I usually return the meat to the store when I get one like that.

Harbormaster 02-21-2010 01:56 AM

I think I know what he means.
That really strong 'pork' pork flavor comes from a boar. Maybe.

sdb25 02-21-2010 02:23 AM

Why can't they just make pork taste more like beef?

SmokinAussie 02-21-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdb25 (Post 1189843)

Because there's nothing like BACON....:mrgreen:

aquablue22 02-21-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdb25 (Post 1189843)

Or Chicken???

My understanding is it is caused by "older" pork, not neccessarily bad but pork that is nearing the end of it's shelf life.. My MIL did an oven roast once for Christmas that was the nastiest smelling and tasting thing you could imagine. just sayin'