The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   This weekend's projected cook - 1st brisket (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78661)

deguerre 02-18-2010 04:52 PM

This weekend's projected cook - 1st brisket
 
4 Attachment(s)
I was at my favorite mom and pop last night, and asked if they had any full briskets. The butcher wasn't in but the assistant made a note and promised to have one for me today. Well, I was not disappointed. They asked me how I'd like it prepared and I said I'll take it as is, and was then told, oh, it'll be 20 cents off a pound then. :cool: So, I've got almost 12 pounds of choice beef to hopefully not fark up this weekend.:biggrin:
I plan on cooking at 275 after rubbing with Bovine Bold until whenever it's done. I've got my choice of apple, mesquite, hickory or JD oak, and also a little cherry and alder fine chips to mix in but I'm not sure which one to go for yet. Anyway, here's the briskie in the raw. Future updates to come.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 02-18-2010 04:56 PM

Good looking hunk of meat. Looking forward to seeing the cook.

I vote for oak. Great with beef.

Capn Kev 02-18-2010 04:56 PM

Good luck! May the force be with you!! :grin:

Do you have a Sam's club near you? If so, you can get Choice full briskets there usually for around $1.80/lb.

deguerre 02-18-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capn Kev (Post 1186990)
Good luck! May the force be with you!! :grin:

Do you have a Sam's club near you? If so, you can get Choice full briskets there usually for around $1.80/lb.

Thanks! Yep, there's two or three but I'm not a member. Can't decide between them or Costco.:biggrin:

NorthwestBBQ 02-18-2010 05:04 PM

Guerry, you rock! That's a great looking brisket at a great price! Keep the photos comming!

bulldawgbbq 02-18-2010 05:04 PM

Good luck. Are you going to inject or do anything else other than the Bovine Bold rub? Hope it turns out great!

deguerre 02-18-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1186997)
Guerry, you rock! That's a great looking brisket at a great price! Keep the photos comming!

Thanks Michael! It sure beat the 3.69 Kroger wanted for select last week.

bigabyte 02-18-2010 05:17 PM

+1 on the Oak!:cool: Keep us posted.

deguerre 02-18-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulldawgbbq (Post 1186998)
Good luck. Are you going to inject or do anything else other than the Bovine Bold rub? Hope it turns out great!

Not on this one. I want to see what happens with just a rub. No marinating or fat trimming either, and probably no foiling but I'll decide that during the cook depending on how the sugar in the rub does.

deguerre 02-18-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke (Post 1186989)
Good looking hunk of meat. Looking forward to seeing the cook.

I vote for oak. Great with beef.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigabyte (Post 1187009)
+1 on the Oak!:cool: Keep us posted.

I was leaning towards the oak. I loved how it worked with the standing rib, but I really like mesquite flavor too. I'll probably use the last of the JD though.:-D

landarc 02-18-2010 05:32 PM

Looks good Guerry, I would go oak with a touch of mesquite, it can be a good combo.

Meat Burner 02-18-2010 05:33 PM

Guerry, good choice to keep the cook simple. We are a huge fan of the Bovine Bold. No injection is a good idea so you have a good base line to go from. You can trim some of the real thick fat and be just fine, but you are the chef. The sugar content of the Bovine Bold should not be an issue if you decide not to foil. Good luck and keep us posted.

deguerre 02-18-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1187035)
Looks good Guerry, I would go oak with a touch of mesquite, it can be a good combo.

You know, Bob, I think I'll do exactly that. Good suggestion!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 1187036)
Guerry, good choice to keep the cook simple. We are a huge fan of the Bovine Bold. No injection is a good idea so you have a good base line to go from. You can trim some of the real thick fat and be just fine, but you are the chef. The sugar content of the Bovine Bold should not be an issue if you decide not to foil. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Meat! I might trim some excess, but I haven't had a good look at it out of the cryo yet.

Bogus Chezz Hawg 02-18-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capn Kev (Post 1186990)
Good luck! May the force be with you!! :grin:

Do you have a Sam's club near you? If so, you can get Choice full briskets there usually for around $1.80/lb.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deguerre (Post 1186994)
Thanks! Yep, there's two or three but I'm not a member. Can't decide between them or Costco.:biggrin:

Visit Costco as a non-member. Tell them you want to look around before joining and they will let you in. I've read here that Costco only sells flats (except in Texas). If that's true in your area you can then visit Sam's Club. They have USDA Choice Angus packers for $1.78 per lb in my area.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/y...10024Small.jpg

Good luck with your 1st briskey!

big brother smoke 02-18-2010 06:22 PM

Nice bro, I do a combo of woods whist cooking. Makes my nose happy to get the different smells. I start with one wood, use another and so on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.