The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ABT question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77484)

grillfella 02-02-2010 12:02 AM

ABT question
 
Hey boys read somewhere that if you soak your cored out japs in sprite for 24 hrs it will take a lot of the heat away. Is this true?. I am doing an appetizer party Sat and I know the people won't be able to take the heat. any help would be appreciated:-D

D0ughB0y 02-02-2010 12:10 AM

I've never heard of that. The heat comes from capsaicin that is found mostly in the seeds and the ribs inside the pepper. If you remove the seeds and ribs (with as little smashing, breaking, tearing that will release the capsaicin and spread it on the rest of the pepper) then you'll get rid of most of the heat.

Since capsaicin is not really water soluble, I don't know how much soaking peppers in sprite would do... other than adding a sweet component to the peppers. It is fat and alcohol soluble so perhaps a soak in some oil or alcohol would help (which will pick up the heat and might be good to use for other applications).

grillfella 02-02-2010 12:17 AM

thanks brother

D0ughB0y 02-02-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grillfella (Post 1165564)
thanks brother

No problem. I actually like to cut mine in half and make what has been called "ABT Boats" out of them. It makes for easy cleaning and stuffing, and I don't have to worry about ABT holders to hold the suckers upright. I recently (a few days ago) posted a thread with pics if you wanna take a look. :)

bigabyte 02-02-2010 01:05 AM

I';ve heard of people soaking them in whole milk, but not Sprite. Never tried either method, I just core, remove the veins and seeds and I'm happy.

grillfella 02-02-2010 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D0ughB0y (Post 1165567)
No problem. I actually like to cut mine in half and make what has been called "ABT Boats" out of them. It makes for easy cleaning and stuffing, and I don't have to worry about ABT holders to hold the suckers upright. I recently (a few days ago) posted a thread with pics if you wanna take a look. :)


Will do:-D

SmokinAussie 02-02-2010 01:57 AM

All I can think of is that the CO2 (which forms the bubbles), may react in some way with the Capasicin molecule, but frankly don't know for sure. If it IS true, then you could forget the lemonade and try a tsp of Bi Carb Soda in water, and leave overnight. At least that would avoid the sweetness of the Sprite. Worth a try....

pahutchens 02-02-2010 10:04 AM

I've seen the Sprite treatment as a step as well ,and also don't remember where.
My wife can't do the sugars so I have to be careful what I mix up

Harbormaster 02-02-2010 10:27 AM

It could be the citric and/or carbonic acid that is in Sprite that does something. I would think the acids would have a greater effect than the sweet or lemon component.

Just sayin'.

GWA 02-02-2010 10:40 AM

Never heard of it and naturally never did it. But I wouldn't try it either because they'd get soggy. Yuck.

weconway 02-02-2010 10:46 AM

I also make boats. That reduces the amount of pepper in each turd. If you scrape out the membrane there won't be much heat left after their cooked. Just a light warmth.

Remember, the dairy (cream cheese), sweetness (brown sugar) and the heat will all conspire to kill the heat in the jalapenos. The only time I've had spicy ABTs was when I was careless about scraping out the innards and undercooked them so the jalapenos were still a bit crunchy.

D0ughB0y 02-02-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weconway (Post 1166030)
I also make boats. That reduces the amount of pepper in each turd. If you scrape out the membrane there won't be much heat left after their cooked. Just a light warmth.

Remember, the dairy (cream cheese), sweetness (brown sugar) and the heat will all conspire to kill the heat in the jalapenos. The only time I've had spicy ABTs was when I was careless about scraping out the innards and undercooked them so the jalapenos were still a bit crunchy.

Just a few points based on my own experience...

There have been many manty times that I've gone and cleaned the peppers very carefully and still ended up with some obnoxious ones in the mix.

The spice-heat-mouthfeel shouldn't be affected by cooking.

Bender 02-02-2010 01:30 PM

Why not use a milder chili pepper, like an Anaheim or something else, for the folks that can't stand the heat?

DubSmoke 02-02-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 1166275)
Why not use a milder chili pepper, like an Anaheim or something else, for the folks that can't stand the heat?

i second this, anahiem has a good flavor to

Harmening 02-02-2010 01:36 PM

I like to make them as hot as possible. Less people will eat them, which leaves more for my son and me. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.