The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help rescue my shoulder! (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75421)

starvinmarvin 01-03-2010 08:20 AM

Help rescue my shoulder!
 
Swirling winds made temp control hard - had small shoulder on for 11hrs and only got temp up to 151. Pulled it (ran outta charcoal) let it sit, threw it in fridge.

Any idea how to rescue it today? Finish in a slow oven? Thanks...

EatonHoggBBQ 01-03-2010 08:32 AM

Shoulda tossed it in the oven to finish.

LMAJ 01-03-2010 08:39 AM

yeah - throw it in a slow oven - you will be fine.

bbqbull 01-03-2010 08:42 AM

I agree with the above statements!

jonboy 01-03-2010 08:47 AM

you might add a little apple juice to the pan, and a top or foil to retain moisture
jon

Bbq Bubba 01-03-2010 08:50 AM

So for roughly 9ish hrs you had your meat under 140*?

Toss it and start another.

starvinmarvin 01-03-2010 09:53 AM

  1. More like 9hrs @150 - plateaued bec of the winds...

aquablue22 01-03-2010 09:56 AM

Yepper, this is the one time your allowed to use that box in the kitchen called an oven........for Bar B Que, it's a man law!

starvinmarvin 01-04-2010 06:46 AM

Just in case someone wants to see how it ended: Put in a slow (245) oven on rack, wrapped, over water w/some apple cider vinegar - took 7 hrs to get to 195. Wasn't the moistest but not dry either. Great flavor. FYI and thanks for the help.

BBQ Grail 01-04-2010 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1133007)
So for roughly 9ish hrs you had your meat under 140*?

Toss it and start another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by starvinmarvin (Post 1133069)
  1. More like 9hrs @150 - plateaued bec of the winds...

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate...

You had a pork butt stall for 9 hours at 150 degrees? I think we need to understand exactly what happened here. Because if you had a butt stall for that long then I'm stumped.

But if you had a butt on for 11 hours and the internal temp of the butt never got above 151 degrees you've got an issue as BBQ said. This would be mean you butt was on the pit with meat under 140 degrees for a period of time that would normally be considered unsafe.

What was the temp of your pit during this time? Did you check your thermometer?

JD McGee 01-04-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1133903)
I think what we have here is a failure to communicate...

You had a pork butt stall for 9 hours at 150 degrees? I think we need to understand exactly what happened here. Because if you had a butt stall for that long then I'm stumped.

But if you had a butt on for 11 hours and the internal temp of the butt never got above 151 degrees you've got an issue as BBQ said. This would be mean you butt was on the pit with meat under 140 degrees for a period of time that would normally be considered unsafe.

What was the temp of your pit during this time? Did you check your thermometer?

My thoughts exactly...:cool:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.