The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are Authentic Burnt Ends ? - past & present (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75391)

barbefunkoramaque 01-02-2010 12:42 AM

What are Authentic Burnt Ends ? - past & present
 
(Mod Note : This thread was separated from another into it's own thread to discuss what burnt ends are/aren't)

I guess a thread about burnt ends should have one pic of an actual burnt end

NorthwestBBQ 01-02-2010 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 1131802)
I guess a thread about burnt ends should have one pic of an actual burnt end

Oh yeah, I am digging the funk of this pic.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1262414503

barbefunkoramaque 01-02-2010 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bride of Roo(BQ'n) (Post 1132050)
The original poster had a FINE picture of burnt ends....

Apparently my brevity has caused some dissension maybe.

No, the original poster has a fine picture of some rather tasty "simulated" or "mock" burnt ends. Let's keep the terminology right.


We all here should know what a burnt end IS. In fact, someone here (Northwest) explained exactly WHAT it was, although they did not get into WHO it was for.

Although CURRENTLY it is considered a delicacy it was NOT in the past.

I posted a picture of true Burnt ends, not mine, but an example so everyone can see what it is as well and have the explanation that was given by another poster earlier.

This is Not a criticism of his LMJC work here, but in every discussion where people attempt to "make" burnt ends there should also be a representation of traditional "accidental" or "symptomatic" burnt ends. LOL

This is done so that people who are still learning will also see what it is people are trying to simulate when they seek to make enhanced burnt ends -

which I will add - I love more then traditional.

Heck, the reason Sonny's BBQ Sandwich is so good is because they literally slice off every bit of Bark material from the Brisket to use. Lunacy! At least for those of us who like slice brisket with no sauce. This practice leaves the gray uninspiring stuff for the sauce hounds getting the sliced brisket platters as seen below - I am sure, some see that as a travesty. LOL
Attachment 35517



Nothing WRONG with simulated ends - like there is nothing wrong with foiling to protect the moisture of the meat, or sugaring to create a simulated bark or what - just a different way.

Traditional Burnt ends do not happen in the bulk that simulated ones do and thus they must be made up. In addition, although many would marvel at say, this traditional burnt ends taste, it would not win any contest - in fact, although I prefer Smittys, Blacks, Muellers and Kreuz brisket, I doubt it would win any contests either - not that that means anything is wrong with it.

Plowboy 01-02-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterrachel (Post 1131724)
Ollie Gates, I believe

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1131727)
Indubitably.

I believe Arthur Bryant's claims to have invented "burnt ends" as we know them. According to the book Grand Barbecue, a history of KC BBQ, Authur Bryants would sauce the shreds of brisket and serve them while folks were waiting in line. Originally, it wasn't a menu item.

NorthwestBBQ 01-02-2010 05:13 PM

Todd when misterrachel said, "Ollie Gates, I believe" and I said "Indubitably" I thought he was refering to Bill Gates. :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 1132381)
I believe Arthur Bryant's claims to have invented "burnt ends" as we know them. According to the book Grand Barbecue, a history of KC BBQ, Authur Bryants would sauce the shreds of brisket and serve them while folks were waiting in line. Originally, it wasn't a menu item.

Thanks for the burnt ends information! :-D

Plowboy 01-02-2010 08:04 PM

Burnt Ends ARE delicious. Discussion over.

kurtsara 01-02-2010 08:22 PM

I thought these were burnt ends, not just the burnt end of the brisket, but burnt ends.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1...c00445b.th.jpg

barbefunkoramaque 01-02-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 1132624)
Burnt Ends ARE delicious. Discussion over.

BBQ is delicious lets kill this entire forum.

Plowboys rubs are top notch so let's not have them on the shelf. they have proved their worthiness.

Incidentally Plowboy's Bovine stuff is the reason I have no need to package my Atomic dirty dick dog dodly doo Dalmatian rub.

misterrachel 01-02-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 1132381)
I believe Arthur Bryant's claims to have invented "burnt ends" as we know them. According to the book Grand Barbecue, a history of KC BBQ, Authur Bryants would sauce the shreds of brisket and serve them while folks were waiting in line. Originally, it wasn't a menu item.

Whoops, I actually meant to say Bryant's earlier...must have had Gates on the brain!

MilitantSquatter 01-02-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 1132662)
BBQ is delicious lets kill this entire forum.

Plowboys rubs are top notch so let's not have them on the shelf. they have proved their worthiness.

Incidentally Plowboy's Bovine stuff is the reason I have no need to package my Atomic dirty dick dog dodly doo Dalmatian rub.


ha ha

barbefunkoramaque 01-02-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtsara (Post 1132637)
I thought these were burnt ends, not just the burnt end of the brisket, but burnt ends.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1...c00445b.th.jpg

Like Northwest said, and to which I agreed, burnt ends do not have to be brisket. It was a strawman argument pulled out of thin air by another poster.

There were some regions that combined ALL burnt ends, brisket, chucks, sausage, rubs and shoulder into a big ole dump with sauce. I bet that was good.

This stuff by lmtj or is my favorite as its about the only thing (oddly) I like sauce on, probably because the sauce is burned and caramelized too.

Plowboy 01-02-2010 09:01 PM

The beans in that first picture look awesome.

barbefunkoramaque 01-02-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter (Post 1132691)


ha ha

LOL Linear Logic.

BBQchef33 01-02-2010 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 1132662)
BBQ is delicious lets kill this entire forum.

Plowboys rubs are top notch so let's not have them on the shelf. they have proved their worthiness.

Incidentally Plowboy's Bovine stuff is the reason I have no need to package my Atomic dirty dick dog dodly doo Dalmatian rub.


ok.. now i REALLY have a headache. :icon_sleepy

WineMaster 01-02-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 1132701)
The beans in that first picture look awesome.

I like the onion crisps by the tastey lookin pickle.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.