The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tamale Thread Condensed (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74979)

Cast Iron Chef 12-26-2009 12:12 AM

Tamale Thread Condensed

1 Attachment(s)
I took the information from BobBrisket's and blues n cues tamale threads and concensed down to a 17 page pdf. I will use this as my study guide for our New Years tamales. Hope you can use it as well. Was hard to get some of the formatting out of the cut and paste. Thanks to all that contributed.

Meat Burner 12-26-2009 12:37 AM

Paul, that was timely. Started my first try at tamales today. Been searching information on making these and discovered some history behind them. Pretty cool stuff. Have the meat and broth in the refridgerator right now and headed to the hispanic market tomorrow for some husks. Looks like a lot of different taste preferences but the passion of making them seems to be the key. Thanks again for the post. Wish me luck bro.

nolaman 12-26-2009 12:48 AM

Great! Thanks Paul! I've always wanted to make some! Can I use shortening instead of lard?

Cast Iron Chef 12-26-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolaman (Post 1125200)
Great! Thanks Paul! I've always wanted to make some! Can I use shortening instead of lard?

I only passed along the information. The experts will chime in I'm sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 1125197)
Paul, that was timely. Started my first try at tamales today. Been searching information on making these and discovered some history behind them. Pretty cool stuff. Have the meat and broth in the refridgerator right now and headed to the hispanic market tomorrow for some husks. Looks like a lot of different taste preferences but the passion of making them seems to be the key. Thanks again for the post. Wish me luck bro.

Good luck man. Let me know how you do. Smoking my butt tomorrow for New Years. Can't wait.

smokindorf 12-26-2009 06:44 AM

Thanks so much for doing that and sharing!

BobBrisket 12-26-2009 08:35 PM

Cool deal!! I likey!

Shortening can be used instead of lard.

Bogus Chezz Hawg 12-26-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokindorf (Post 1125247)
Thanks so much for doing that and sharing!

I 2nd that emotion!

anamosity 12-27-2009 10:23 AM

Very nice, thanks for the work.
Will be using it as well.

landarc 12-27-2009 11:56 AM

Very nice, good work Paul.

Meat, I believe you are gonna love them (Oh, my Christmas tri-tip was medium, no blood, you would have lijked it).

I buy good corn husks, I prefer them thick and I run em through the dryer before soaking them.

Jay Bird 12-27-2009 02:25 PM

Thanks Paul. Never did tamales but that is likely to change.

Jay Bird 12-27-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1126404)
Very nice, good work Paul.

Meat, I believe you are gonna love them (Oh, my Christmas tri-tip was medium, no blood, you would have lijked it).

I buy good corn husks, I prefer them thick and I run em through the dryer before soaking them.

What's with the dryer? Drying & then soaking seems counter intuitive. Do you use a fabric softener sheet?:biggrin:

landarc 12-27-2009 02:45 PM

I gets them fluffy. Actually, sometimes there is corn silk and small pieces, I find a few minutes on air fluff cleans em up.

BobBrisket 12-27-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 1126536)
I gets them fluffy. Actually, sometimes there is corn silk and small pieces, I find a few minutes on air fluff cleans em up.

I'll be danged!!! Makes a ton of sense. The dryer will separate em and will remove the silk and other "natural" goodies in the husks. Keep in mind, rinse the husks REALLY well. You will find little, dried up critters in the husks. Dang! I love this idea.
Is it your idea? Can't wait to tell my dad about it!

blues_n_cues 12-28-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cast Iron Cheif (Post 1125194)
I took the information from BobBrisket's and blues n cues tamale threads and concensed down to a 17 page pdf. I will use this as my study guide for our New Years tamales. Hope you can use it as well. Was hard to get some of the formatting out of the cut and paste. Thanks to all that contributed.

sounds good and you're welcome.

Cast Iron Chef 12-28-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blues_n_cues (Post 1127125)
sounds good and you're welcome.

Smoked the butt yesterday using your spice mix. Came out very tasty. Can't wait to taste in a tamale.