The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Have any of y'all had any experience with this type of scenario? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911)

Bamabuzzard 12-24-2009 05:38 PM

Have any of y'all had any experience with this type of scenario?
 
A buddy of mine and I are in talks with some local convenient stores about serving BBQ sandwiches in their store. What would happen is my partner and I would smoke the meat, make the sauce and simply sell the meat and sauce to the store for them to serve in their little "food court" in the store. We would ONLY be providing the meat and sauce. Not buns or anything else.

Does anyone have any experience on what to charge the store? It is pulled pork and bottled sauce. We would sell the meat in aluminum dishes that holds I'd say two to three gallons of meat.

Advice certainly appreciated.

BBQ Grail 12-24-2009 05:49 PM

I believe, and I stress believe, that the requirements for this type of enterprise are much stricter than the normal catering/restaurant venture.

I believe, and again I stress believe, you have to have an FDA approved kitchen instead of the normal county Health Department.

Bamabuzzard 12-24-2009 05:51 PM

The kitchen will be no problem. But I have no idea what to charge.


Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1123926)
I believe, and I stress believe, that the requirements for this type of enterprise are much stricter than the normal catering/restaurant venture.

I believe, and again I stress believe, you have to have an FDA approved kitchen instead of the normal county Health Department.


Bbq Bubba 12-24-2009 06:20 PM

How much would they be buying from you?

big brother smoke 12-24-2009 09:57 PM

Good luck!

Bamabuzzard 12-24-2009 10:01 PM

Really not sure. It's in its early stages and it depends on the location. We're talking to three different places. I guess I'm looking for a general price/lb which can change depending on the quantity the store buys.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 1123961)
How much would they be buying from you?


blues_n_cues 12-25-2009 07:55 AM

pork,beef,or what?

i tried the same thing but it's hard to beat the price of precooked stuff in the tub by sysco or white swan.:sad:

not to discourage you but i'd price them & see if it's worth your time & effort.

Bamabuzzard 12-25-2009 08:00 AM

Great advice and I appreciate it. It's pulled pork. I'm not sure why these three stores hadn't already went the Sysco/White Swan avenue. I might just ask. They might want "real bbq" :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by blues_n_cues (Post 1124404)
pork,beef,or what?

i tried the same thing but it's hard to beat the price of precooked stuff in the tub by sysco or white swan.:sad:

not to discourage you but i'd price them & see if it's worth your time & effort.


blues_n_cues 12-25-2009 08:09 AM

yeah my closest store uses gfs pulled pork. $7.50 per 3# tub
no way i could beat it...:shock:

Bamabuzzard 12-25-2009 11:46 AM

Well, I doubt I could compete with $7.50 per 3# tub. Probably the only shot I got is quality/taste.


Quote:

Originally Posted by blues_n_cues (Post 1124417)
yeah my closest store uses gfs pulled pork. $7.50 per 3# tub
no way i could beat it...:shock:


BigBrad 12-25-2009 02:45 PM

The local shops here in N. Iowa sell packaged BBQ for $4-$5 per pound. This is for sauced meat. I myself have done some custom cooking for friends and usually charge between $5 and $7 per pound for the meat, this is meat only and no sauce. Just what I have done in the past. The best answer I can say is Know your input costs and charge accordingly. Don't give it away and don't get to greedy. If it's good and people like it it's worth the price.

Good Luck.

Bamabuzzard 12-26-2009 12:29 PM

Well, I do know that most of the pre-packaged pulled/chopped pork/beef such as LLoyd's tastes to me as nothing more than meat cooked in an oven and bbq sauce poured on it. Down south a lot of people are very picky about their BBQ when it comes to quality.


Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBrad (Post 1124739)
The local shops here in N. Iowa sell packaged BBQ for $4-$5 per pound. This is for sauced meat. I myself have done some custom cooking for friends and usually charge between $5 and $7 per pound for the meat, this is meat only and no sauce. Just what I have done in the past. The best answer I can say is Know your input costs and charge accordingly. Don't give it away and don't get to greedy. If it's good and people like it it's worth the price.

Good Luck.


BBQ Grail 12-26-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard (Post 1123931)
The kitchen will be no problem. But I have no idea what to charge.

You are extremely lucky to have access to an FDA approved kitchen. Those are hard to come by. And of course you've already started the FDA approval process for your packaging.

It's one set of rules if YOU are selling product directly to customers, it's a whole new set of rules if you are selling product to someone else to sell to customers.

Bamabuzzard 12-26-2009 01:52 PM

It's not who you know but who knows you. It's good to have a partner that knows a lot of people...


Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1125547)
*You are extremely lucky to have access to an FDA approved kitchen. Those are hard to come by. And of course you've already started the FDA approval process for your packaging.

It's one set of rules if YOU are selling product directly to customers, it's a whole new set of rules if you are selling product to someone else to sell to customers.


Ford 12-26-2009 02:13 PM

I'm no expert but I think the person with the real problem is the food court vendor. He is buying meat from an outside source for sale in his establishemnt. Now what I do know is he needs SOP's that are going into detail on buying, holding and reheating cooked food for use in his business. He needs to identify where he is buying food from and in the case of cooked meat he's going to need certain certifications from the vendor (you) in order to resell. My bet is when he investigates, this deal will fall thru. He can't just bring your meat in to sell. It's totally different if he cooks it himself.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.