The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Jack Daniels chips? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73466)

tmcmaster 11-30-2009 05:56 AM

Jack Daniels chips?

Has anyone ever used them and if you have, what's your take on them?

MilitantSquatter 11-30-2009 06:37 AM

I like them but I like using chunks as well in combination.

Depending on the planned burn time and type of cooker, you need a lot of chips, and the JD chips aren't cheap.

At the end of the day though, if you did two side by side cooks, one with JD Oak and the other with regular oak chips, the finished product would probably have minimal differences or be hard to ID which was which.

Don't get caught up in the marketing part of the "JD"

Diva Q 11-30-2009 07:19 AM

I have to agree wholeheartedly - I would stick with just the regular wood chips. I did not find any noticeable difference when I used them in my wsm.

Brauma 11-30-2009 08:02 AM

Hopefully Ricks Tropical will chime in. I've seen where he has used them several times.

Smokey Al Gold 11-30-2009 08:05 AM

Good info I keep looking at those when I go to the store haven't wanted to spend that much on chips yet.

BlkJeep 11-30-2009 10:11 AM

make your own chips. buy two bottles of JD! Drink one and use the other to soak your chips? Just a thought......

MRI_Guy 11-30-2009 10:57 AM

These chips produce a nice 'Wow' factor when you first put them on. There is a nice aroma of Jack Daniels.

So if you want to impress some of the folks at a party you are hosting - they will be great.

However, like others have said, I don't know how much better your food will actually taste because of the chips.

1FUNVET 11-30-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkJeep (Post 1098841)
make your own chips. buy two bottles of JD! Drink one and use the other to soak your chips? Just a thought......

I agree.:biggrin::biggrin:

Spydermike72 11-30-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlkJeep (Post 1098841)

I would call that Alcohol abuse :eek: I think you can buy the chips cheaper than a bottle of JD... :mrgreen:

Rick's Tropical Delight 11-30-2009 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmcmaster (Post 1098698)
Has anyone ever used them and if you have, what's your take on them?

i use them all the time. i love them. i love them. i love them. :shock:

i guess you can go on all the "advice" given here and decide you don't like them without even trying them or you could go get a bag and decide for yourself.

swibirun 11-30-2009 04:46 PM

I have used them a bit and like them. It's kind of like MRI Guy says. They have a great initial impact but the final product has minimal difference. I just like the smell when I open the bag and toss on a handful. It's "aroma therapy" for the BBQ set ;) :)

I didn't realize they were that much more cost wise. My wife buys them for me. I'm not going to question her, she might start buying "select" meats ;)

GreasePig 11-30-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swibirun (Post 1099197)
My wife buys them for me. I'm not going to question her, she might start buying "select" meats ;)

LMAO! :-P

1st rule of business:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Rick's Tropical Delight 11-30-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swibirun (Post 1099197)
I have used them a bit and like them. It's kind of like MRI Guy says. They have a great initial impact but the final product has minimal difference. I just like the smell when I open the bag and toss on a handful. It's "aroma therapy" for the BBQ set ;) :)

I didn't realize they were that much more cost wise. My wife buys them for me. I'm not going to question her, she might start buying "select" meats ;)

wait till the end of the season (like right now) and when they are on sale buy.

maybe it depends on what cooker you have and what your are cooking. i don't use them on everything.

try a burger or a classic t-rex steak or beef tenderloin with the chips at the roast part and tell me it's the same as oak chunks. we will agree to disagree then.

deguerre 11-30-2009 04:57 PM

I bought them specifically for a rib roast and LOVED the result. I figured I was already spending so much on the beef...BUT I've got leftover chips I'm going to use on some chuckies.

Rick's Tropical Delight 11-30-2009 04:59 PM

:biggrin:

i'm making a burger on tattoo with jdobc tonight.