The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bacon Weave (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70636)

NorthwestBBQ 10-12-2009 12:05 AM

Bacon Weave
 
Can someone here please explain to me how to do the bacon weave? :?:

Hugh Jorgan 10-12-2009 12:16 AM

These guys can. Start with an "L" and add a piece to each side, alternating.

http://travthebutcher.blogspot.com/2...ove-bacon.html

http://bp1.blogger.com/_Eri5UfhfGtE/...0/CIMG4251.JPG

NorthwestBBQ 10-12-2009 12:31 AM

Thanks Hugh. So you have to thread each piece under and over the next one like you were sewing?

Blackened 10-12-2009 01:23 AM

This is the tutorial that I learned with.. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=69819

nolesfan954 10-12-2009 07:19 AM

Those tutorials seem too complicated to me. I'll try to explain without the advantage of video:
lay five strips of bacon side-by-side (think of them as 1-5)
Fold 2 and 4 halfway back (in half, essentially)
Lay a strip of bacon across 1, 3, and 5 and return 2 and 4 to the starting position.
Fold 1, 3, and 5 halfway back and lay a strip of bacon across 2 and 4 and return 1, 3 and 5.
Repeat until you have a 5 x 5 weave. Hope that makes sense.

Ron_L 10-12-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolesfan954 (Post 1052845)
Those tutorials seem too complicated to me. I'll try to explain without the advantage of video:
lay five strips of bacon side-by-side (think of them as 1-5)
Fold 2 and 4 halfway back (in half, essentially)
Lay a strip of bacon across 1, 3, and 5 and return 2 and 4 to the starting position.
Fold 1, 3, and 5 halfway back and lay a strip of bacon across 2 and 4 and return 1, 3 and 5.
Repeat until you have a 5 x 5 weave. Hope that makes sense.

Nice explanation! It isn't threading the bacon through, it's more of a lift and tuck process.

deguerre 10-12-2009 08:46 AM

Wish I'd read that BEFORE I tried my first weave yesterday!:-D

jetfxr27 10-12-2009 08:49 AM

I just gave a pound of bacon to the wife and said weave it like a basket! She's great at artsy stuff. I wouldn't even try.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/...0f809946a7.jpg

nolesfan954 10-12-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron_L (Post 1052920)
Nice explanation! It isn't threading the bacon through, it's more of a lift and tuck process.

You wouldn't actually be threading the bacon strips--by folding back strips you'd be laying a horizontal slice on top of alternating vertical slices. I guess I could have been a little more clear...you'd be starting with the center horizontal slice and continuing two above and two below for a 5 x 5 weave. For example, using the photo above, assume the hand is on slice 4. You would fold slice 2 and 4 back up toward the sausage package and then lay a slice across 1, 3, and 5. When you return 2 and 4 to their position, you have "threaded" a slice without the hassle of actually threading. Repeat the process by folding 1, 3, and 5 up toward the sausage package and laying a slice across 2 and 4.
It's a lot simpler to do than explain :)

Arlin_MacRae 10-12-2009 10:14 AM

Thick cut works best, too. You get the thin stuff and it tears or stretches when you move the finished weave.

My favorite thing to do with woven pig is to drape it in a small Pyrex bowl and bake it, then fill the 'bacon bowl' with breafuss!

nolesfan954 10-12-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae (Post 1053052)
Thick cut works best, too. You get the thin stuff and it tears or stretches when you move the finished weave.

My favorite thing to do with woven pig is to drape it in a small Pyrex bowl and bake it, then fill the 'bacon bowl' with breafuss!

I shoulda mentioned that too, I wouldn't attempt to do a weave without using thick cut bacon. Tried that once--it was a disaster.
Have you tried inverting the bowl and baking the weave "on" the bowl instead of "in" the bowl? Seems to me it would hold its shape better and would allow the fat to roll away.

QuietOne 10-12-2009 10:59 AM

Watch this video at about 55 seconds in he goes through an easy way to do the weave. at 2:20 the bacon weave is done. Doesn't get much easier than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXUZ8MVu_H8

deguerre 10-12-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolesfan954 (Post 1053066)
I shoulda mentioned that too, I wouldn't attempt to do a weave without using thick cut bacon. Tried that once--it was a disaster.
Have you tried inverting the bowl and baking the weave "on" the bowl instead of "in" the bowl? Seems to me it would hold its shape better and would allow the fat to roll away.

I didn't have trouble using regular cut, but it was time consuming to get it to look right. Hey, my Gramma lived in Dania!

Arlin_MacRae 10-12-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolesfan954 (Post 1053066)
Have you tried inverting the bowl and baking the weave "on" the bowl instead of "in" the bowl? Seems to me it would hold its shape better and would allow the fat to roll away.

Actually, I have, yeah! COFFEE LOW indicator light was on this morning so I forgot to mention that method - which is the way to do it.

Thanks for the catch!


Arlin

aquablue22 10-12-2009 12:28 PM

Ask Cowgirl, she can weave one mean bacon.......plus her's always looks terrific.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.