The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Forming a Catering LLC (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68643)

rharge 09-10-2009 05:47 AM

Forming a Catering LLC

I am planning to start a catering company and I want it to be a LLC.
Has anyone used Legal Zoom for this purpose? If so, what were the pros
and cons of their services and fees? Also can anyone make any other
suggestions for filing services?

Thanks, Rick

Spydermike72 09-10-2009 06:22 AM

I did it myself. At least here in Michigan it is very simple. A 2 page form from the state and $50.00 later and you have a LLC. Now the Management Agreement portion may be where you might need some help. Are you going to be the only member of the LLC, or are you going to have partners ? That will make a difference in the type of Management/Operating Agreement that you will need.

rharge 09-10-2009 07:58 AM

Mike

Thanks for the quick response. I will have one partner and we writing the agreements ourselves at this time. I had considered doing the Texas state filling myself, but started
weighing the options of having a pro service handle the LLC setup.

Thanks again, that's one vote for keeping this matter as a "In House" task.

tmcmaster 09-10-2009 09:40 AM

When I formed mine, it was a 2 page form and a 70.00 fee (in PA). Very simple and very easy. All the forms were on the states website.

C Rocke 09-10-2009 09:53 AM

DIY here - Was relatively straight forward.

undertaker 09-10-2009 09:59 AM

I agree with the DIY. Two pages and $70 later I was done.

musicmanryann 09-10-2009 10:20 AM

I used LegalZoom and was pleased with everything. However, after reading everyone's responses here, it seems I paid too much. I went bare bones with everything and it was $150.00 including the filing fee.

rharge 09-10-2009 10:27 AM

Thanks for the help all. It looks like DYI it is.
This is a great forum, and looking forward to being helpful in it one day.

Rick

Willard 09-10-2009 09:28 PM

Staples has a kit for like $20 and is state specific.

nicerackbbqteam 09-10-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rharge (Post 1022288)
I am planning to start a catering company and I want it to be a LLC.
Has anyone used Legal Zoom for this purpose? If so, what were the pros
and cons of their services and fees? Also can anyone make any other
suggestions for filing services?

Thanks, Rick

I did with my computer repair biz
yippie.com

Yakfishingfool 09-11-2009 09:10 AM

You've really piqued my interest about this LLC. I was doing some research and it seems that the annual registration here in NY is $325, So a filing fee then the LLC registration fee. Anybody else here have any NY experience. The rest of it sounds good. Really looking for a break even kind of activity. Not looking to really make much money. Scott

GratefulSmoker 09-12-2009 03:30 PM

I used Legal Zoom with my incorporation....Cost me about 600.00 and couldn't be happier. In less than a week I was in business!

FlCracker 09-18-2009 02:19 PM

In Florida online form and $50.00

timzcardz 09-18-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool (Post 1023413)
You've really piqued my interest about this LLC. I was doing some research and it seems that the annual registration here in NY is $325, So a filing fee then the LLC registration fee. Anybody else here have any NY experience. The rest of it sounds good. Really looking for a break even kind of activity. Not looking to really make much money. Scott

Ah yes! New York, home of the brave and the land of the fee.

Just wait until you see your next vehicle registration renewal! Fees for everything were just jacked up in the last couple of weeks.

Bride of Roo(BQ'n) 09-18-2009 03:01 PM

Used the forms on our Secretary of State website, and have formed 3 LLCs and a corporation DIY.....as spice fairy would say.."EZ PEEZY"