The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Seperating Brisket (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64043)

Peteg 06-22-2009 06:57 PM

Seperating Brisket

Hey guys, I've read threads that say that you are not allowed to split a turn-in meat during cooking and then continue on with both portions of meat. Is it ok to split the brisket before hand and cook the flat and point sepearately? I know that many teams do that, but I just wanted to make sure that it's legal. Also, would I have any trouble getting throught the meat inspection with the point and flat seperated? Thanks for any help. Pete G.

early mornin' smokin' 06-22-2009 07:02 PM

im pretty sure you can do as you please with brisket. Pork butts may not be seperated or halved. Brisket can be point, flat, whatever ud like.

Trainwreck 06-22-2009 07:29 PM

Pork would be the only one you can not split or seperate and continue on cooking in KCBS

Peteg 06-22-2009 08:43 PM

Cool. Thanks for the help guys. Nice to here from you Andy.

Skip 06-23-2009 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trainwreck (Post 956404)
Pork would be the only one you can not split or seperate and continue on cooking in KCBS

Can you clarify a little for me on this point. I have seen people pull sections of their butt, sauce them and return them to the cooker. Also there is a picnic and a butt. Thats already seperated. Then there is the boneless butt which can be considered seperated.

I must be missing something. Thanks for any clarification on what is meant by splitting or sperating the pork.

Jacked UP BBQ 06-23-2009 08:16 AM

splitting would be making it less then 5 pounds for instance, removing the money muscle and returning the rest of the butt to the cooker for pulled. I spoke with many reps and they told me you can sauce your meat before boxing and return to the cooker to reheat. That is not cooking, that is heating up.

Skip 06-23-2009 08:23 AM

So it is considered illegal to remove the money muscle and return the rest of the butt to the cooker? I have known teams to remove the money muscle, the dipstick and some other fat laden portions, sauce them and return them to the cooker while returning the other parts of the butt for a longer cook for chopped and pulled. I was thinking of trying this but won't if its actually against the rules.

Jacked UP BBQ 06-23-2009 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 956664)
So it is considered illegal to remove the money muscle and return the rest of the butt to the cooker? I have known teams to remove the money muscle, the dipstick and some other fat laden portions, sauce them and return them to the cooker while returning the other parts of the butt for a longer cook for chopped and pulled. I was thinking of trying this but won't if its actually against the rules.

What you are explaining is completely illegal according to my interp of the rule. You cannot return the butt for longer cooking after taking done parts off.

Divemaster 06-23-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 956664)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 956667)
What you are explaining is completely illegal according to my interp of the rule. You cannot return the butt for longer cooking after taking done parts off.

I agree... What OC was talking about was re-heating not initial cooking.

VGuilford 06-23-2009 10:00 AM

Can you cook 2 butts pull one for slicing and leave the other for pulling?

Jacked UP BBQ 06-23-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VGuilford (Post 956741)
Can you cook 2 butts pull one for slicing and leave the other for pulling?

Yes you can. Back to the brisket. I do not seperate at all ever. Not even for slicing, you risk the loss of too many juices.

goodsmokebbq 06-23-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 956654)
splitting would be making it less then 5 pounds for instance, removing the money muscle and returning the rest of the butt to the cooker for pulled. I spoke with many reps and they told me you can sauce your meat before boxing and return to the cooker to reheat. That is not cooking, that is heating up.

I have heard exactly the opposite that once it is parted / pulled / sliced, it can not go back on the cooker for any reason even to reheat. Can we get a definitive answer from KCBS on this?

Divemaster 06-23-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS (Post 956749)
Yes you can. Back to the brisket. I do not seperate at all ever. Not even for slicing, you risk the loss of too many juices.

Funny, I do the opposit... I ALWAYS split mine before I start the cook and have not had a dry brisket in the last 15 years...

The Pickled Pig 06-23-2009 11:44 AM

Regarding the pork reheating, here's a lengthy thread addressing the topic: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45459

goodsmokebbq 06-23-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 956828)
Regarding the pork reheating, here's a lengthy thread addressing the topic: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=45459

It really doesn't address the reheating at all, mostly the parting and 5lb issues.

Question: Is it legal to pull / slice / chunck your pork (When done), then reheat in your cooker for nice hot turn in?