-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (
-   -   Trailer Insurance (

ASUBBQ 05-03-2009 09:10 PM

Trailer Insurance
Besides liability do other caterers carry a seperate policy on your trailers or cookers that tow behind?

If you don't you should seriously consider doing so, we have coverage on ours similar to what you would carry on your tow vehicle.

In CT we have to register any trailer with motor vehicle which then prevents it from being covered under a homeowners policy for any damage or theft.

I have a buddy who lost a 10K southern pride due to theft, it was trailer mounted without insurance. If your trailer gets hit by another vehicle and totaled and its not insured you might be eating the replacement cost!

Worth looking into!

BBQchef33 05-03-2009 09:12 PM

Geico covered mine for under 60 bucks.

StrikeEagle 05-03-2009 11:29 PM

I'm covered on this with my business owners insurance.

hossrocks 05-04-2009 12:09 AM

In Idaho we don't have to register concessions trailers. We do have to register towbehind cookers and trailers however. We have ours covered for liability and theft through our business, otherwise my vehicle insurance covers anything else. Runs us about $150 a year for everything.

Smokin Turkey 05-04-2009 07:29 AM

My trailers are all covered through the vehicle towing's insurance. Anything not picked up in that claim either diverts to my home owners (my RV) or my business insurance (my enclosed trailer).

May want to check with your auto insurance carrier on that. My insurance agent told me when these trailers are parked unattached from the tow vehicle, that's when they fall under the home owner or business insurance and are free from the vehicle.

Hope that helps. It made sense in my head explaining it. lol!

smokinit 05-04-2009 03:26 PM

I have a additional rider that covers the replacement cost of all my equipment that is not built into my catering truck. I think it's $30k for around $250 extra for the year.

Bbq Bubba 05-04-2009 03:36 PM

In Michigan, my vending trailer is considered commercial equipment, needs to be pulled by a commercially insured vehicle. (bend over mod) That covers damage to the trailer and truck.
Our liability covers anything inside the trailer for theft and damage.

KC_Bobby 05-04-2009 04:32 PM


Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 916622)
Geico covered mine for under 60 bucks.

$60 a year? Is that replacement value with everything inside?

big brother smoke 05-04-2009 04:34 PM

I am in good hands with Allstate (additional coverage)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.