The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Smoker Preferences for Catering (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59117)

txschutte 03-28-2009 12:31 PM

Smoker Preferences for Catering
 
I have been cooking on the large reverse flow for a while. Even some on the drum for catering/vending. The reverse flow is getting to be a PIA when I have so much going on. It's more of a "kick back and relax" sort of cooker.
I noticed many use the Southern Pride smokers, but every place I have been to, the food is marginal at best. I need to go a larger, more efficient smoker. But I WON'T sacrifice quality while doing so.

What would you do in my situation?

smokinit 03-28-2009 12:50 PM

I use Backwoods for all my catering long burn times and turns out a great product. There are many different sizes as you business grows. Add a guru and life is just that much easier. They also have auto gas options to add more versatility.

blues_n_cues 03-28-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinit (Post 888388)
I use Backwoods for all my catering long burn times and turns out a great product. There are many different sizes as you business grows. Add a guru and life is just that much easier.

that was my suggestion too.

HoDeDo 03-28-2009 05:12 PM

FEC-300/500

They are pellet fired, and produce killer food. Ultimate in ease of use/volume.... but produces great BBQ to boot.

armor 03-28-2009 10:20 PM

Look at the Spicewine by Spicewine Ironworks

getyourrubonbbq 03-28-2009 10:41 PM

I know it will vary, but how much meat are you cooking at one time usually?

FlCracker 03-29-2009 09:53 AM

I use a spicwine.A fiend of mine has a large spicewine and converted it to gas ,works great.He can still use carcoal by sliding the burner out and puutting the charcoal tray back in.

FatBoyz 03-29-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txschutte (Post 888367)
I have been cooking on the large reverse flow for a while. Even some on the drum for catering/vending. The reverse flow is getting to be a PIA when I have so much going on. It's more of a "kick back and relax" sort of cooker.
I noticed many use the Southern Pride smokers, but every place I have been to, the food is marginal at best. I need to go a larger, more efficient smoker. But I WON'T sacrifice quality while doing so.

What would you do in my situation?

ok so quality we know your not doing brisket lol all i know is my consistency is there with the pellet pooper.

barbefunkoramaque 03-29-2009 11:42 AM

I, for one, don't think there is a wrong or right smoker. This is a dangerous question from Shane. I hope we don't get into a fight. We need to be careful as that is not what this forum is all about, its about loving relations with our brethren. We should all reach around to get along with each other.

I mean smokers are irrelevant in Texas where he have BOTH liquid smoke for a marinade for brisket and Big Red Soda for the smoke ring. Throw it in a crock pot and its so tender. Then all you need is to pour Hunts Original BBQ sauce all over it and send it through the Food processor and it will spread on, provided there's enough sauce added, a nice ritz cracker like liverwurst.

Rightstuff 03-29-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque (Post 889012)
I mean smokers are irrelevant in Texas.

Yeah! They rub two sticks together to start their fires and slow cook the meat for 12 days holding over the fire with their bare fingers and don't sleep the entire 12 days. :-D:-D:-D

smokinit 03-29-2009 12:25 PM

I think what he is trying to figure out as I did when I first started my catering business is what will produce a good product and allow me time to run and increase my business with out constant pit watching. I started out with a Lang 84 and quickly found it didn't fit what I wanted to do. There are many pits that will fit his application he just needs to find what will work best and grow with him.

barbefunkoramaque 03-29-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rightstuff (Post 889037)
Yeah! They rub two sticks together to start their fires and slow cook the meat for 12 days holding over the fire with their bare fingers and don't sleep the entire 12 days. :-D:-D:-D

:icon_shy

barbefunkoramaque 03-29-2009 12:37 PM

Shane... the more square or rectangular your pit is, the happier you will be.

Rightstuff 03-29-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinit (Post 889041)
I think what he is trying to figure out as I did when I first started my catering business is what will produce a good product and allow me time to run and increase my business with out constant pit watching. I started out with a Lang 84 and quickly found it didn't fit what I wanted to do. There are many pits that will fit his application he just needs to find what will work best and grow with him.

BBQ Joint in Atlanta had 2 Langs and did a booming business. Business increassed so much the Langs just wouldn't handle the load. They purchased 2 Ole Hickory Smokers and still put out the best BBQ in Atlanta. Give them a call. Its Fox Brothers BBQ in Atlanta and ask for Jonathon.

AlabamaGrillBillies 03-29-2009 02:15 PM

If I had the need, and had the money I think I would go either with a fec 300/500 or a large spicewine. Lots of folks on the site use one or the other of these and i've never read a bad word about them. The FEC would be the ultimate in set it and forget it, but the spicewine might be cheaper (not sure). The Spicewine would feel more traditional to me if that matters at all to you (might not).

For a pure business related purchase looking to get no personal bbq therapy from the smoker I can't see a better cooker than the FEC line.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.