The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Liquid Nitrogen (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58194)

Karubecue 03-11-2009 07:41 PM

Liquid Nitrogen
 
We have an annual church fundraiser coming up. Guessing 1600 lbs raw weight over 4 cooking days. Most customers want product frozen for later consumption, so this sets up a bottleneck in the freezing department. Has anyone ever tried dunking a (cooked and rested) brisket/butt/chicken in LN2 to freeze quickly for transfer to a holding freezer? I'm guessing the thawed texture would be improved as well. Thoughts appreciated. Bill

barbefunkoramaque 03-11-2009 07:44 PM

Popdaddy has only dumped people that break the rules in liquid Nitrogen.

Ya Gotta Shake somethin, right?

Oh... don't dip food.

thirdeye 03-11-2009 07:53 PM

Boy, some of my customers use 500# cylinders of that chit, piped into a box to freeze bushings so they will shrink a few thousands....I'm not sure if I would introduce food to something like that....

Alexa RnQ 03-11-2009 07:56 PM

...can you imagine if you dropped a freshly-dipped butt? That stuff'd shatter like glass, and then you'd have one hell of a time explaining how you put your eye out with a pork splinter.

Karubecue 03-11-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DivaHerself (Post 875390)
...can you imagine if you dropped a freshly-dipped butt? That stuff'd shatter like glass, and then you'd have one hell of a time explaining how you put your eye out with a pork splinter.


MMMMmmmm ... shattered pork sandwich.

Lots of food is frozen with LN2 immersion - it's not harmful and the texture is better. But it's usually used with smaller items, I think. Like frozen pies.

Norcoredneck 03-11-2009 08:24 PM

Liquid nitrogen:twisted::twisted::twisted:, almost as fun as a weedburner. That is what we use at work. It is -298 degrees F. average. Very dangerous. Personally I don't see it happening. How are you getting the LN2? Is it in a dewar? Open top or pressurized vessle? Got to remember LN2 will expand as it gass's off. Don't want to trap it. We thermal shock stuff by dunking it in LN2. We chill stuff using a coil of copper and run pressurized liquid through it. A standard dewar is pressurized at 20-25 psi. If you have a cooler you can put a copper line in sidewall, vent on other and inject/bleed liquis into it and rappidly bring down temp. Will try and see if I can get picks of a set up we got going right now. Depends on security classification. Will post tonight is possible.



Side note if you have liquid you can make some awesome icecream. I will see if I can dig up recipe/procedure. Horseplaying with LN2 someone at work put a 2 litre of coke in a ss bucket with cap on. Froze so fast it blew the top off. Imagine coke showered acoustic ceiling, electronic equipment. Also stuck a stick in a bananna and froze it, slammed it on the grouns and it shattered. Real cool until the pieces that went unger equipment started to rot. Makes quick work of a "Borrowed" $5 for a magic trick :twisted:. Heard of a hot seat? pour a little in the cushion of a coworkers office chair, dust off frost and if they sit down before it totally gass's off and Bam! frozen Nards.

Jorge 03-11-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karubecue (Post 875370)
We have an annual church fundraiser coming up. Guessing 1600 lbs raw weight over 4 cooking days. Most customers want product frozen for later consumption, so this sets up a bottleneck in the freezing department. Has anyone ever tried dunking a (cooked and rested) brisket/butt/chicken in LN2 to freeze quickly for transfer to a holding freezer? I'm guessing the thawed texture would be improved as well. Thoughts appreciated. Bill

That's ambitious. I wouldn't try it, but I'd be interested in knowing the results. Hell, I don't know if I'd want to let the Fire Department know or not!

Karubecue 03-11-2009 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norcoredneck (Post 875415)
Liquid nitrogen:twisted::twisted::twisted:, almost as fun as a weedburner. That is what we use at work. It is -298 degrees F. average. Very dangerous. Personally I don't see it happening. How are you getting the LN2? Is it in a dewar? Open top or pressurized vessle? Got to remember LN2 will expand as it gass's off. Don't want to trap it. We thermal shock stuff by dunking it in LN2. We chill stuff using a coil of copper and run pressurized liquid through it. A standard dewar is pressurized at 20-25 psi. If you have a cooler you can put a copper line in sidewall, vent on other and inject/bleed liquis into it and rappidly bring down temp. Will try and see if I can get picks of a set up we got going right now. Depends on security classification. Will post tonight is possible.



Side note if you have liquid you can make some awesome icecream. I will see if I can dig up recipe/procedure. Horseplaying with LN2 someone at work put a 2 litre of coke in a ss bucket with cap on. Froze so fast it blew the top off. Imagine coke showered acoustic ceiling, electronic equipment. Also stuck a stick in a bananna and froze it, slammed it on the grouns and it shattered. Real cool until the pieces that went unger equipment started to rot. Makes quick work of a "Borrowed" $5 for a magic trick :twisted:. Heard of a hot seat? pour a little in the cushion of a coworkers office chair, dust off frost and if they sit down before it totally gass's off and Bam! frozen Nards.

I'm thinking pour from a dewar into a steel tub and dunk in that. Or maybe the dewar itself is big enough?

Norcoredneck 03-11-2009 09:10 PM

I wouldn't personally pour it right on the food. Maybe in a tub, in cardboard box off bottom (on bricks), pour in and put a piece of plywood over tub. Have you ever fooled around with LN2? Pot some in a styrofoam cup. It will boil until gone. Put a piece of cardboard ocer cup. it will calm down and vent as needed. LN2 will hold a lot longer. I just feel dunking it is too much of an instant shock. I honestly don't think food is dunked but more introduced to an extreme cold environment. A little LN2 in a vessle will rapidly change the temp. It's more about recovery time than actually submerging it.

bigabyte 03-11-2009 09:12 PM

I'm eager to see the results. I'm thinking it will take a while, using more LN2 than may be worth it for just texture. I'm also wondering if the fact that it's going to take a little bit to freeze through, if there won't be some cracking.

Norcoredneck 03-11-2009 09:16 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j02WUaIF1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szBaf...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEFpy...eature=related

Norcoredneck 03-11-2009 09:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKY0orWnYfQ

NotleyQue 03-11-2009 09:28 PM

You could use dry ice. Slab on top, slab on the bottom. Will freeze it pretty fast, and it will be safer.

Balls Casten 03-11-2009 10:44 PM

I would phone a couple freight companies and see if they would donate some time with one of their refer trailers. Lots of trailers sitting m/t right now.

Plowboy 03-11-2009 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Casten (Post 875629)
I would phone a couple freight companies and see if they would donate some time with one of their refer trailers. Lots of trailers sitting m/t right now.

Bingo... they rent cheap even if you can't get the donation.

I've heard that they can freeze beer kegs at the American Royal. :wink:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.