The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Butcher Pork Injection (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56933)

BBQ_Mayor 02-17-2009 07:47 PM

Butcher Pork Injection
 
Has anybody used the Butcher Pork Injection for their pork in a comp? I'd like to here the pros/cons and how it worked.
Is it worth a try?

Neal 02-17-2009 08:50 PM

Ray - it's definitely worth a try...
Our first go at using it was last year at the Pork expo QLossal. We shot up our butts and our whole hog with Butcher and wound up with a 2nd place hog and 3rd in pork.

There are pretty good teams using this stuff including the Butcher BBQ team itself which scored 1st in pork at the Jack last year. Give David a ring...great product and really top notch customer service.

http://www.butcherbbq.com/

BBQ_Mayor 02-17-2009 09:01 PM

Thanks Neal. You going to be at the Expo again this year?

Keller Steeler 02-18-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 854967)
Ray - it's definitely worth a try...
Our first go at using it was last year at the Pork expo QLossal. We shot up our butts and our whole hog with Butcher and wound up with a 2nd place hog and 3rd in pork.

There are pretty good teams using this stuff including the Butcher BBQ team itself which scored 1st in pork at the Jack last year. Give David a ring...great product and really top notch customer service.

http://www.butcherbbq.com/

Neal - did you mix it with water or a juice cocktail? Just curious. I just got some in and will probably play around with it this weekend.

Thanks

Neal 02-18-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor (Post 854984)
Thanks Neal. You going to be at the Expo again this year?

Can't make it up there this year. Last year was our first time and we really enjoyed it. Sounds like some of the changes (location and rules) will be good for the contest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keller Steeler (Post 855240)
Neal - did you mix it with water or a juice cocktail? Just curious. I just got some in and will probably play around with it this weekend.

We played around with it a little before we found our competition recipe. We do use juice, but we cut it with water. Some guys like to mix it a little thin to help it inject and flow better.

Weekend Smoker 02-18-2009 09:25 AM

Ray,

We just got started using the butcher bbq and so far so good pork is all I have tried it on and I like it. I may change my comp recipe later and use it but not sure yet need more experimenting for consistancy.

I went to a bbq cooking class recently and learned some more, I tasted a brisket done with it and was impressed.

What I know is mix it thin with whatever water or juice etc and put in fridge and wait 24 hours before using it and it should be thin like soup. hth

Steve

CTSmokehouse 02-18-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weekend Smoker (Post 855372)
Ray,

We just got started using the butcher bbq and so far so good pork is all I have tried it on and I like it. I may change my comp recipe later and use it but not sure yet need more experimenting for consistancy.

I went to a bbq cooking class recently and learned some more, I tasted a brisket done with it and was impressed.

What I know is mix it thin with whatever water or juice etc and put in fridge and wait 24 hours before using it and it should be thin like soup. hth

Steve

What does the 24 hour refrigerated wait do to it?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Weekend Smoker 02-18-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTSmokehouse (Post 855480)
What is the 24 hour refrigerated wait do to it?

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff


Cliff, thats what I was taught and as far as I can tell it just makes sure the mixture is all disolved. The powder is real fine and it takes some doing to get it all disolved.

I did it that way last time and it seemed to be a smoother more consistant mixture than just using it right away. hth

Steve

Brian in So Cal 02-18-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 855341)
.


We played around with it a little before we found our competition recipe. We do use juice, but we cut it with water. Some guys like to mix it a little thin to help it inject and flow better.

Neil, Can you tell me the kind of juice you used. How much, percentage water to juice, ETC.:mrgreen:

Thanks, I promise I won't tell anyone.

BBQ_Mayor 02-18-2009 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the help and info. I think I'll give a shot. Nothing to lose.

Neal 02-18-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weekend Smoker (Post 855372)
What I know is mix it thin with whatever water or juice etc and put in fridge and wait 24 hours before using it and it should be thin like soup.

We usually mix it before a contest, just to save time. But we have mixed it on site before and did fine, including last weekend in Great Bend. I didn't have enough at home to premix and had to get it from David at the contest. It came out fine and our pork was in a four way tie for 8th place. Of course after tie-breakers we place out of the money at 11th and didn't get a call!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian in So Cal (Post 855547)
Neil, Can you tell me the kind of juice you used. How much, percentage water to juice, ETC.

50/50 water with apple juice.

rookiedad 02-18-2009 04:42 PM

i used the brisket injection once for practice and was impressed. i was toying with the idea of a fat injection, something like clarified butter with some spices or fat soluable flavorings added to provide moisture over long cook times, the idea being that there would be no evaporation of the fat, but the Butchers seems to have provided this medium in a water based substance. i mixed with apple juice and flavor was good. still have to try the pork injection.

RixCue 02-19-2009 12:41 AM

I use a stick blender to mix it up , shoot up and put on ice for 4-6 hours.


Rick

ThomEmery 02-19-2009 07:40 AM

We heat the water and mix in the Butchers It dissolves nicely
The mixture is at room temp when we inject

Butcher BBQ 02-20-2009 04:20 PM

We do use half juice and half water. I mix it up on site and let it set about 30 minutes then use it. I do both the beef and the pork on site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.