The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cold weather and a UDS.... (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54715)

bigmeatbbq 01-08-2009 10:25 AM

Cold weather and a UDS....

I got to smoke a 16lbs. packer this Sunday to take into work on Monday. It's supposed to be a balmy 28 degrees here in west central Illinois. Has anyone here got any recommendations on cold weather BBQing with a UDS. I'm concerned about keeping temp during the smoke. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

Mark 01-08-2009 10:36 AM

Sunday may be breezy for 63101 but you shouldn't be concerned with a UDS

bigabyte 01-08-2009 10:38 AM

Drink your beer inside where it's warm.:wink:

Hachie Qer 01-08-2009 10:49 AM

I'm not speaking from experience just some ideas that occured to me. I saw a post the other day that mentioned using a blanket on a horizontal offset. A UDS may be to hot on the surface for that to be safe, but what about a water heater jacket, dishwasher insulation or duct insulation. Just be sure to handle it carefully to keep fiberglass out of the cooker and your hands.

DDave 01-08-2009 10:55 AM

Not speaking from a huge amount of experience here . . . my UDS is fairly new and I assume you are talking about a 28 degree high. Here if it is 28 degrees it is definitely an overnight low. But, the other morning when I lit my UDS, it was 30 degrees and it did not have any trouble at all getting up to 250.

As long as your drum does not have any leaks, the wind shouldn't bother it either. I would be very surprised if you had any trouble at all.

Good luck.

Dave

CajunSmoker 01-08-2009 11:04 AM

I smoked a turkey thanksgiving morning at below freezing temps and it didn't seem to make any difference at all on the UDS. The heat is contained inside the UDS and you really aren't counting on the metal in the barrel heating up to help hold temps. My barrel is rarely too hot to touch while I'm cooking unless I have the lid off too long and let my temps get out of control.

SpammyQ 01-08-2009 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have a drum yet (build is in the works), but I do have a WSM that I cooked on during a snowstorm on Dec 23rd in 26 degree weather. The wind was what was killing me that day., not the temps. I wound up wrapping the smoker in a moving blanket, and keeping the vents open. It worked great. At smoking temps, it really doesn't get hot enough to burn the blanket. I imagine a drum would be similar.

I would stay away from anything that contains fiberglass unless it is completely contained.

...Smoke... 01-08-2009 11:11 AM

-25f last cook! The old UDS does not cook any different, may have used a little more fuel to get through the cook, not really sure how much nothing to worry about that is for sure.:) My UDS sits inside a car port, it is open on the west side to the wind no prob.

Bob50j 01-08-2009 11:56 AM

No experience with the UDS yet, the build is in the works, but I did do a couple of butts on Xmas Eve on my Chargriller. Temps in the single digits and only had trouble keeping temp up when the wind howled. I layed a concrete insulation blanket over the stove and problem gone. Now from everything I read, the chargriller won't even come close to the efficiency of a UDS so I'd think you're fine.

Meat Burner 01-08-2009 11:57 AM

What Smoke said, maybe a little more fuel, but not much. If you can put up some kind of wind brake, that might be helpful. Otherwise, just let it rock!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Barbarian 01-08-2009 12:03 PM

I used a moving blanket on my offset also and it worked great. I don't see why you couldn't use one on the drum. I personally would keep it a bit above the charcoal grate level the temp should stay fine down there and it won't cover the intakes that way.

h20loo 01-08-2009 12:06 PM

I find that freezing rain is a temp killer but otherwise just have at 'er!
I experimented last year and found that a 4x4 piece of cardboard (with exhaust hole) put over my drum caused about a 10 degree increase in grate temp. So I went to HD and bought that silver insulation and made a coat for my barrel. Depending on the weather it runs about 25 degrees hotter. I've smoked at 350 degrees and no effect on my coat!
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...0loo/004-1.jpg

Bob50j 01-08-2009 12:31 PM

nice job of "wrapping that raskle", h20loo

tommykendall 01-08-2009 01:00 PM

Nice insulation mods. The moving blanket is a hoot! I'll have to try it here while it's cold outside :mrgreen:

stlgreg 01-08-2009 01:33 PM

I cooked last year when the low was supposed to get down to 7 - the only difference was I didnt want to be outside as much and it used 40-50% more fuel.

Other than that cooked just like a chanp.