The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ok to smoke with Bradford Pear wood? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52208)

akayaker 11-15-2008 10:13 PM

Ok to smoke with Bradford Pear wood?

Talked with my father in law today and he had a couple of Bradford Pear trees blow down. Is the BP good to smoke with??

Meat Burner 11-15-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akayaker (Post 782357)
Talked with my father in law today and he had a couple of Bradford Pear trees blow down. Is the BP good to smoke with??

Don't know but it is not a fruit bearing tree. Just the name. Some of the brethren will prolly chime in with some advise.

BobBrisket 11-15-2008 10:46 PM

It is just as good as the fruit bearing pear. Has a light smoke to it. Go for it.

bigabyte 11-15-2008 11:15 PM

Never tried it myself. I always heard to go with fruit/nut bearing hardwoods, and Bradford Pear is a non-bearing soft wood. However, Bob above ahs apparently tried it and if first hand knowledge says it's OK, then that is definitely something to consider.

wood_is_good 11-15-2008 11:29 PM

"WOOD FOR GRILLING by Bill Wight

Q: Would someone please tell me what kinds of wood are suitable for grilling?

A: The traditional woods for smoking are HICKORY, PECAN and OAK. Here is a list of woods suitable for smoking:

ACACIA - these trees are in the same family as mesquite. When burned in a smoker, acacia has a flavor similar to mesquite but not quite as heavy. A very hot burning wood.

ALDER - Very delicate with a hint of sweetness. Good with fish, pork, poultry, and light-meat game birds.

ALMOND - A sweet smoke flavor, light ash. Good with all meats.

APPLE - Very mild with a subtle fruity flavor, slightly sweet. Good with poultry (turns skin dark brown) and pork.

ASH - Fast burner, light but distinctive flavor. Good with fish and red meats.

BIRCH - Medium-hard wood with a flavor similar to maple. Good with pork and poultry.

CHERRY - Mild and fruity. Good with poultry, pork and beef. Some List members say the cherry wood is the best wood for smoking. Wood from chokecherry trees may produce a bitter flavor.

COTTONWOOD - It is a softer wood than alder and very subtle in flavor. Use it for fuel but use some chunks of other woods (hickory, oak, pecan) for more flavor. Don't use green cottonwood for smoking.

CRABAPPLE - Similar to apple wood.

GRAPEVINES - Tart. Provides a lot of smoke. Rich and fruity. Good with poultry, red meats, game and lamb.

HICKORY - Most commonly used wood for smoking--the King of smoking woods. Sweet to strong, heavy bacon flavor. Good with pork, ham and beef.

LILAC - Very light, subtle with a hint of floral. Good with seafood and lamb.

MAPLE - Smoky, mellow and slightly sweet. Good with pork, poultry, cheese, and small game birds.

MESQUITE - Strong earthy flavor. Good with beef, fish, chicken, and game. One of the hottest burning.

MULBERRY - The smell is sweet and reminds one of apple.

OAK - Heavy smoke flavor--the Queen of smoking wood. RED OAK is good on ribs, WHITE OAK makes the best coals for longer burning. All oak varieties reported as suitable for smoking. Good with red meat, pork, fish and heavy game.

ORANGE, LEMON and GRAPEFRUIT - Produces a nice mild smoky flavor. Excellent with beef, pork, fish and poultry.

PEAR - A nice subtle smoke flavor. Much like apple. Excellent with chicken and pork.

PECAN - Sweet and mild with a flavor similar to hickory. Tasty with a subtle character. Good with poultry, beef, pork and cheese. Pecan is an all-around superior smoking wood.

SWEET FRUIT WOODS - APRICOT, PLUM, PEACH, NECTARINE - Great on most white or pink meats, including chicken, turkey, pork and fish. The flavor is milder and sweeter than hickory.

WALNUT - ENGLISH and BLACK - Very heavy smoke flavor, usually mixed with lighter woods like almond, pear or apple. Can be bitter if used alone. Good with red meats and game.

BBQ List members and other internet sources report that wood from the following trees is suitable for smoking: AVOCADO, BAY, CARROTWOOD, KIAWE, MADRONE, MANZANITA, GUAVA, OLIVE, BEECH, BUTTERNUT, FIG, GUM, CHESTNUT, HACKBERRY, PIMIENTO, PERSIMMON, and WILLOW. The ornamental varieties of fruit trees (i.e. pear, cherry, apple, etc.) are also suitable for smoking.

CB 11-16-2008 12:59 AM

just want to chime with a little advice on wood sourcing. make sure you know the tree wasn't sprayed with pesticides, etc. for quite a few years or not at all. One reason is some of that stuff can stay in the wood and when it incinerates - well, not what you want to serve with food. This isn't a huge deal, just one to be given some consideration. :rolleyes:

Meat Burner 11-16-2008 01:01 AM

Wood, nice post. But, how about an ornamental bradford pear? The pear mentioned in your thread was a fruit bearing tree. What's your thoughts?

wood_is_good 11-16-2008 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 782454)
Wood, nice post. But, how about an ornamental bradford pear? The pear mentioned in your thread was a fruit bearing tree. What's your thoughts?

The bottom sentence of my post says it will be fine

barbefunkoramaque 11-16-2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 782454)

see the very bottom, i almost missed it too

Desert Dweller 11-16-2008 06:24 AM

Wood, thx for the info!

Uncle B 11-16-2008 07:59 AM

Be Very careful with Mesiquit when it is green it is very bitter and you can not get it out of your smoker even by sand blasting it. This is what I have been told, Black walnut I know 1st hand It has a lot of carcinogens in it and will cause your mouth and throat to go numb.

jestridge 11-16-2008 08:10 AM

It is in the class with hardwood actually it some kind of hybred it prolly be ok try a little and see what it does

Arlin_MacRae 11-17-2008 10:51 AM

YES! I lost most of a big ornamental Bradford pear and that wood is great. Burns HOT though, strangely enough.

Arlin

Mark 11-17-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 782363)
Don't know but it is not a fruit bearing tree. Just the name. Some of the brethren will prolly chime in with some advise.

It is a fruit bearing tree. The pear of a bradford pear is really small; smaller than a marble, yet some people make wine out of them.

Good to use? Definately. I use it all the time and mix with oak with excellant results. But Bradford Pear is real hard to cut once it dries.

hnd 11-17-2008 11:47 AM

try it....as long as its not a pine tree, i generally say go for it....if its gross, dont' use it again..