The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quick Brisket Question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51096)

DavidEHickey 10-23-2008 12:19 PM

Quick Brisket Question

I went to the local Sams club and was going to buy a brisket "want to make some brisket Chili this weekend" and the biggest one I found was about 8 pounds. It was the flat. They did not sell the whole brisket. Even at 8 pounds it seemed like it was so thin maybe an inch to inch and a half thick thru a majority of it I was worried it would dry out to quickly. Is this normal or should I look for a whole brisket and not just the flat?

Thanks
David Hickey

BBQ Grail 10-23-2008 12:21 PM

That sounds like a normal trimmed flat.

Did you ask the butcher at Sam's for a whole packer? I buy them all the time from Sams. I like to have some point and flat in my brisket chili.

Bigmista 10-23-2008 12:30 PM

Ask for the whole packer. It's rare to find a thick flat these days.

aks801 10-23-2008 12:43 PM

Sounds like a nice flat to me!

PaSmoker 10-23-2008 12:54 PM

If your gonna do chili anyway...pull it a little early....maybe at 170-175....should get all the smoke flavor by them....cut up and finish cooking in the chili...

BBQ Grail 10-23-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaSmoker (Post 764625)
If your gonna do chili anyway...pull it a little early....maybe at 170-175....should get all the smoke flavor by them....cut up and finish cooking in the chili...

Now that's the ticket!

Bigmista 10-23-2008 02:04 PM

Don't forget to Deglaze!

DavidEHickey 10-23-2008 03:38 PM

Can I use Rum and Coke instead of Miller to deglaze? Problem with pulling early and letting it finish in the Chili is I want to eat Brisket Saturday and Chili Sunday. So I'll have to cook it all the way thru for Sat dinner. Thanks for the help. I figured it was probably normal. Guess thats why they call it the flat! And I exagerated a little I meant the meat was about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. That did not count the fat cap.

Bacon 10-23-2008 09:30 PM

SAM's around here only sells whole packers. Bought an 18 lb'er last month sometime. Never made brisket chili though. For some odd reason I feel I will.

CajunSmoker 10-24-2008 08:24 AM

Our Sam's sells both packers and flats. The packers are Select grade and the flats are Choice:confused:

monty3777 10-24-2008 10:13 AM

Sometimes my Sam's doesn't have the packers out on display - why???? The last 2 times I've been there I have had to ask the butcher to get me one. And hey presto one show up!

Jorge 10-24-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidEHickey (Post 764786)
Can I use Rum and Coke instead of Miller to deglaze? Problem with pulling early and letting it finish in the Chili is I want to eat Brisket Saturday and Chili Sunday. So I'll have to cook it all the way thru for Sat dinner. Thanks for the help. I figured it was probably normal. Guess thats why they call it the flat! And I exagerated a little I meant the meat was about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. That did not count the fat cap.

Cook two, and pull one early. My work here is done:wink:

Divemaster 10-24-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaSmoker (Post 764625)

Either that or smoke up a nice big chuckie!!! I've got a 17 pounder sitting in the freezer for the next time I get Bubbette going....

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSmoker (Post 765167)
Our Sam's sells both packers and flats. The packers are Select grade and the flats are Choice:confused:

Actually, the last time I bought a case of packers they were CAB Prime....