The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quick Brisket Question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51096)

DavidEHickey 10-23-2008 12:19 PM

Quick Brisket Question
 
I went to the local Sams club and was going to buy a brisket "want to make some brisket Chili this weekend" and the biggest one I found was about 8 pounds. It was the flat. They did not sell the whole brisket. Even at 8 pounds it seemed like it was so thin maybe an inch to inch and a half thick thru a majority of it I was worried it would dry out to quickly. Is this normal or should I look for a whole brisket and not just the flat?

Thanks
David Hickey

BBQ Grail 10-23-2008 12:21 PM

That sounds like a normal trimmed flat.

Did you ask the butcher at Sam's for a whole packer? I buy them all the time from Sams. I like to have some point and flat in my brisket chili.

Bigmista 10-23-2008 12:30 PM

Ask for the whole packer. It's rare to find a thick flat these days.

aks801 10-23-2008 12:43 PM

Sounds like a nice flat to me!

PaSmoker 10-23-2008 12:54 PM

If your gonna do chili anyway...pull it a little early....maybe at 170-175....should get all the smoke flavor by them....cut up and finish cooking in the chili...

BBQ Grail 10-23-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaSmoker (Post 764625)
If your gonna do chili anyway...pull it a little early....maybe at 170-175....should get all the smoke flavor by them....cut up and finish cooking in the chili...

Now that's the ticket!

Bigmista 10-23-2008 02:04 PM

Don't forget to Deglaze!

DavidEHickey 10-23-2008 03:38 PM

Can I use Rum and Coke instead of Miller to deglaze? Problem with pulling early and letting it finish in the Chili is I want to eat Brisket Saturday and Chili Sunday. So I'll have to cook it all the way thru for Sat dinner. Thanks for the help. I figured it was probably normal. Guess thats why they call it the flat! And I exagerated a little I meant the meat was about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. That did not count the fat cap.

Bacon 10-23-2008 09:30 PM

SAM's around here only sells whole packers. Bought an 18 lb'er last month sometime. Never made brisket chili though. For some odd reason I feel I will.

CajunSmoker 10-24-2008 08:24 AM

Our Sam's sells both packers and flats. The packers are Select grade and the flats are Choice:confused:

monty3777 10-24-2008 10:13 AM

Sometimes my Sam's doesn't have the packers out on display - why???? The last 2 times I've been there I have had to ask the butcher to get me one. And hey presto one show up!

Jorge 10-24-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidEHickey (Post 764786)
Can I use Rum and Coke instead of Miller to deglaze? Problem with pulling early and letting it finish in the Chili is I want to eat Brisket Saturday and Chili Sunday. So I'll have to cook it all the way thru for Sat dinner. Thanks for the help. I figured it was probably normal. Guess thats why they call it the flat! And I exagerated a little I meant the meat was about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. That did not count the fat cap.

Cook two, and pull one early. My work here is done:wink:

Divemaster 10-24-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaSmoker (Post 764625)
If your gonna do chili anyway...pull it a little early....maybe at 170-175....should get all the smoke flavor by them....cut up and finish cooking in the chili...

Either that or smoke up a nice big chuckie!!! I've got a 17 pounder sitting in the freezer for the next time I get Bubbette going....

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunSmoker (Post 765167)
Our Sam's sells both packers and flats. The packers are Select grade and the flats are Choice:confused:

Actually, the last time I bought a case of packers they were CAB Prime....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.