The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Food Handling General Discussion (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Cutting Board Cleanup (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49678)

tommykendall 09-23-2008 09:30 AM

Cutting Board Cleanup

This probably came up before more than once but is it safe to clean poly cutting boards with a bleach product like clorox cleanup? It sure helps to whiten them up but leaves a bleach scent for a while afterward... but so does soap on your hands after you wash them.

Arlin_MacRae 09-23-2008 09:57 AM

I always clean my poly board with regular soap, then follow up with Clorox spray. I let that sit a couple of minutes then scrub it in good and rinse well. By the time I use the board again the bleach smell is gone.

big brother smoke 09-23-2008 09:58 AM

TK, at home, yes clorox clean-up works. However, commercially you need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse and place in sanitzed solution of bleach and water for a few seconds then let air dry.

When I use them for poultry and fish, I use hot soapy bleachy water to wash and do as stated above.

HB-BBQ 09-23-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 744094)
TK, at home, yes clorox clean-up works. However, commercially you need to wash them in hot soapy water, rinse and place in sanitzed solution of bleach and water for a few seconds then let air dry.

How diluted should the solution be, it seems that there would still be a residue after air drying?

BTW nice avatar you have there :mrgreen:

big brother smoke 09-23-2008 03:37 PM

I use a teaspoon per gallon of water.

Thanks, I figured you would like it!:biggrin:

Rodger 09-23-2008 04:03 PM

You can also use the dry powder mix that the homebrewers use to sterilize their plastic wares. Easier to carry with you, just mix with water. Sorry, can't remember the name of the product. :icon_blush:

BBQchef33 09-23-2008 04:26 PM

To Sanitize: Pots, pans, glasses, dishes, and utensils 1/4 cup bleach 4 gallons warm water (75 °F - 110 °F) soak for 1 minute air dry

To Sanitize: Tables, counters, food processing equiptment 1 tablespoon bleach in 1 gallon warm water
(75 °F - 110 °F) apply solution air dry

Chlorine bleach exposed to water over 110* is rendered pretty much useless. So a bleach soaking and then hot rinse should get rid of the residue and everything is coodie fee.

jonboy 09-23-2008 05:42 PM

Is there any problem with using the dish washer?
jon

BBQchef33 09-23-2008 09:53 PM

dishwasher santizes well, but leaves the staining... a bleach bath gets the plastic cutting boards back to white.

Its getting rid of the bleachy smell afterwards. i use hot water and then airdry.

Marsha 09-25-2008 08:45 AM

We have started using disposable cutting sheets for both vending and catering events. I LOVE those things. And we use a separate one each for beef, pork or chicken. I get them from www.Daydots.com. I think I learned about them from either someone here or the cbbqa.org.

https://www.daydots.com/Assets/prodshot/30214-00-00.jpg

tommykendall 09-25-2008 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 744374)
To Sanitize: Pots, pans, glasses, dishes, and utensils 1/4 cup bleach 4 gallons warm water (75 F - 110 F) soak for 1 minute air dry

To Sanitize: Tables, counters, food processing equiptment 1 tablespoon bleach in 1 gallon warm water
(75 F - 110 F) apply solution air dry

Chlorine bleach exposed to water over 110* is rendered pretty much useless. So a bleach soaking and then hot rinse should get rid of the residue and everything is coodie fee.

I didn't realize that it's all about the math. Thanks.

beerguy 09-26-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodger (Post 744360)
You can also use the dry powder mix that the homebrewers use to sterilize their plastic wares. Easier to carry with you, just mix with water. Sorry, can't remember the name of the product. :icon_blush:

1 STEP is the no rinse powder cleaner I use in brewing. Never thought to use it "on the road" to clean polyboards. Thanks for the tip.

Steve in N. TX 10-03-2008 09:12 AM

White vinegar also works well as a sanitzer

PatioDaddio 10-03-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marsha (Post 745519)
We have started using disposable cutting sheets for both vending and catering events. I LOVE those things. And we use a separate one each for beef, pork or chicken. I get them from www.Daydots.com. I think I learned about them from either someone here or the cbbqa.org.

Amen! I get them from DayDots as well. I use five per comp -- one for each category prep, and one for turn-in prep. They hold up very well. I'll never wash a cutting board at a comp again!

John

ulikabbq 10-03-2008 10:46 AM

Smoky Mountain Smokers has them for a bit cheaper

here