The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Galvanized, zinc, stainless and ..chrome? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49136)

TysDad 09-12-2008 08:12 PM

Galvanized, zinc, stainless and ..chrome?

Oh wizards of all things metallic...a question. We've been told countless times that galvanized metal heated up produces fumes that are bad for ones health. Zinc plated isn't so good, either. So we're supposed to use stainless nuts and bolts and uncoated metal for anything in the fire zone of a smoker.

But what about chromed metal? I was wandering around Lowe's in Chino Hills this afternoon (need to kill more ants) and saw a chromed metal basket in the area with the closet organization stuff. That got me thinking...so a bit of browsing found a whole bunch of baskets like this one. 12.75" L x 11.75" W x 8" H. At $10 it would save me cutting, bending, bolting and attaching the expanded metal --- and bleeding all over it as well.

http://www.storables.com/images/Products/1002044/fl.jpg

What say ye? Safe or not? Too wimpy and will die a quick death or not?

It's not hexavalent chromium...but I was still thinking of Julia Roberts the whole time I was typing this...

BBQchef33 09-12-2008 08:17 PM

once you burn whatever there is off, its all steel. Even the galvanized stuff can be used after the initial burn...

rule of thumb, if its rusts(or oxidizes), its safe.

jestridge 09-12-2008 10:41 PM

only time gal will hurt you when you weld on it and breath the fumes it wont kill you but make you sick

ON THE FARM 09-12-2008 11:37 PM

SAFE!!!
Most of the grill freats you can buy are chrom plated, most likely the racks in your oven are too.
that looks like a great basket for a UDS, i need to look in to one (or 3) of those.

HB-BBQ 09-12-2008 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ON THE FARM (Post 736643)
SAFE!!!
Most of the grill freats you can buy are chrom plated, most likely the racks in your oven are too.

I was thinking the same thing.

This grill also came to mind

PatioDaddio 09-12-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 736566)
...rule of thumb, if its rusts(or oxidizes), its safe.

Stainless doesn't really do either (visibly), and it's safe. :wink:

John

Mattzilla 09-12-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestridge (Post 736620)
only time gal will hurt you when you weld on it and breath the fumes it wont kill you but make you sick

Bad info.

It can and will kill you.

Timmy 09-13-2008 08:27 AM

Ask the guys who weld galvanized steel what it does. It gives off horrible fumes. Will it kill you? I'm still alive but have been real sick from breathing the fumes. It comes from zinc poisoning. I don't know anything about chrome except typically when something is chromed its dipped in a vat or tank. What does Weber make their grates from?

Cliff H. 09-13-2008 08:57 AM

I have looked at those baskets several times. My only concern with them is what are they actually made of ? They are surely an imported product at that price so the chromed steel is surely as cheap of a product as can be made into something.

I would chooose plain US made expanded steel over imported cheap chromed steel any day.

TysDad 09-13-2008 09:17 AM

There's a huge difference in temperature between grill grates and charcoal grates --- that's what I am concerned about. Heck at only 225 degrees F in a smoker, just about anything that's safe at room temperature-that isn't boiling, sublimating or fuming- is safe. I'm guessing that the metal expansion at the fire level will make the chrome flake right off -- but as long as it won't kill me, who cares? I believe that a good burn-off will resolve any potential problems...just like a drum or any new cooker.

This one would do a UDS proud...it's a chromed trash can holder. Round. Wide spacing of the wires for good ash drainage. Cheap. It might be just too good looking for an ugly smoker, though....

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r...irebasket1.jpg

ON THE FARM 09-13-2008 10:14 AM

ooooooooooooooooo..... that is the basket i have been looking for!!!!!

jestridge 09-13-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattzilla (Post 736652)
Bad info.

It can and will kill you.

COLD GALVANIZE Corrosion Inhibitor
  • <LI class=bullets>99% pure, zinc-rich, galvanize coating <LI class=bullets>Prevents rust and corrosion on all metals <LI class=bullets>Performs like a hot dip galvanize to prevent rust and corrosion on all types of metals for up to three years <LI class=bullets>Provides a tough, flexible coating that will not crack or peel even in extreme heat or cold <LI class=bullets>Up to two years protection <LI class=bullets>Dries in 3-5 minutes <LI class=bullets>Withstands water temperature up to 212F (100C) and continuous dry heat up to 750F (400C). <LI class=bullets>Works as a paint primer over rust <LI class=big_bullets>Repairs rusted, galvanized and welded surfaces
  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) approved

barbefunkoramaque 09-13-2008 11:31 PM

well be sure to buy a lot of them... they will collapse and warp quickly under the heat. its for a charcoal basket??? I say no.

Mattzilla 09-14-2008 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jestridge (Post 737022)
COLD GALVANIZE Corrosion Inhibitor
  • <LI class=bullets>99% pure, zinc-rich, galvanize coating <LI class=bullets>Prevents rust and corrosion on all metals <LI class=bullets>Performs like a hot dip galvanize to prevent rust and corrosion on all types of metals for up to three years <LI class=bullets>Provides a tough, flexible coating that will not crack or peel even in extreme heat or cold <LI class=bullets>Up to two years protection <LI class=bullets>Dries in 3-5 minutes <LI class=bullets>Withstands water temperature up to 212°F (100°C) and continuous dry heat up to 750°F (400°C). <LI class=bullets>Works as a paint primer over rust <LI class=big_bullets>Repairs rusted, galvanized and welded surfaces
  • Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) approved

and?

I am not trying to start a pissing match here. With all of the other readily available supplies and sources I can see no reason to use galvanized anything in a UDS build. Period.

Norcoredneck 09-14-2008 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattzilla (Post 737300)
and?

I am not trying to start a pissing match here. With all of the other readily available supplies and sources I can see no reason to use galvanized anything in a UDS build. Period.

Exactly, is it worth a gamble to use the galvanized nipples or parts you have kept in the garage vs spending less than $5 to buy steel? A couple of good meals prepared at home vs. buying sub par food at a bbq joint justifies the cost of getting the right stuff the first time. Build it once and build it to last. There has been enough trial and error and pointers here that a person should know what is right and wrong. Believe me I am a cheap bastard but not at the cost of making someone sick. I truly believe that if someone says they can't find XXX they are not looking hard enough. Hell an old car rim would make a great charcoal basket .