The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Going Legal (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48324)

YankeeBBQ 08-28-2008 12:20 PM

Going Legal
 
So who can fill me in on the costs of going legal and getting insurance and licensing and whatever else a caterer needs to run a proper and legal business. I've done some gigs for friends and family and have been approached to do some larger gigs but I won't do that unless I have all my ducks in a row.

TOPS BBQ 08-28-2008 05:16 PM

You're going to have to check with your local HD certified kitchens on rental price. As for insurance, here in CA, we're paying to the tune of $500 - $600 a year for $1 million dollar liability insurance. Throw in another hundred or so for coverage of your rig. Check on-line for your City/County fees for ficticious bus. name and reseller's lic.

If you want to vend. You may have to get an additional coverage per event from your insurance co. Also, you may have to pay a vendor's permit.

Again, check out the websites and you'll be able to get a handle of what is going to be required of you. Before you start paying the bucks, I strongly suggest you visit the local HD and see what they are going to be looking for from you. They are probably the biggest hurdle you'll face.

Good luck!

big brother smoke 08-28-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOPS BBQ (Post 723583)
You're going to have to check with your local HD certified kitchens on rental price. As for insurance, here in CA, we're paying to the tune of $500 - $600 a year for $1 million dollar liability insurance. Throw in another hundred or so for coverage of your rig. Check on-line for your City/County fees for ficticious bus. name and reseller's lic.

If you want to vend. You may have to get an additional coverage per event from your insurance co. Also, you may have to pay a vendor's permit.

Again, check out the websites and you'll be able to get a handle of what is going to be required of you. Before you start paying the bucks, I strongly suggest you visit the local HD and see what they are going to be looking for from you. They are probably the biggest hurdle you'll face.

Good luck!

Agreed! It all begins at the HD and the insurance carrier!

jbrink01 08-29-2008 05:49 AM

My recurring annual costs, not including set up costs, are about $1500 a year.

smokinit 09-01-2008 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeBBQ (Post 723298)
So who can fill me in on the costs of going legal and getting insurance and licensing and whatever else a caterer needs to run a proper and legal business. I've done some gigs for friends and family and have been approached to do some larger gigs but I won't do that unless I have all my ducks in a row.

Hey man PM me I just started my business last year and It already went ballistic this year I can help you with the learning curve.

big brother smoke 09-01-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinit (Post 727061)
Hey man PM me I just started my business last year and It already went ballistic this year I can help you with the learning curve.

Smokinit, the purpose of the catering section is to share what you know publically, so that others can learn. :biggrin:

BBQchef33 09-01-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinit (Post 727061)
Hey man PM me I just started my business last year and It already went ballistic this year I can help you with the learning curve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big brother smoke (Post 727216)
Smokinit, the purpose of the catering section is to share what you know publically, so that others can learn. :biggrin:


Thanks BBS... i was gonna say that exactly.. Why are go PM... We can all use the help with the learning curve.

smokinit 09-02-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 727299)
Thanks BBS... i was gonna say that exactly.. Why are go PM... We can all use the help with the learning curve.


I figured instead of writing a novel of what I have learned the last two years I figured if people had specific questions I could answer then more efficiantly.I have a spot I will be vending at 4-5 days a week and I will have some time then to put together in sections what I went through to get to this point and I will post them as I finish them.

wlfpkrcn 09-03-2008 04:19 PM

I just got off the phone with Calaveras County. Opening a catering business would require permits and a commisary. However a "Cook for hire" requires no permits. The client supplies food and you cook it. They pay for the labor. The only restriction is no advertising, this includes web sites. Just an FYI....

Bigmista 09-03-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinit (Post 727377)
I figured instead of writing a novel of what I have learned the last two years I figured if people had specific questions I could answer then more efficiantly.I have a spot I will be vending at 4-5 days a week and I will have some time then to put together in sections what I went through to get to this point and I will post them as I finish them.

DO you have pics of your setup that we could check out?

smokinit 09-03-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmista (Post 728698)
DO you have pics of your setup that we could check out?

I will have pics of my previose parties soon and my vending site grandopening will not be until 9/11 check in on my site www.allfiredupbarbq.com and if you want specs on my truck setup let me know.

wlfpkrcn 09-03-2008 07:51 PM

I don't know if this will help anyone 2007 CA food code
http://www.co.calaveras.ca.us/publis...dCode_2007.pdf

BBQCookin 01-24-2009 10:39 AM

Block parties & backyard cooking permits?
 
I live in Suffolk County, Long Island. A few neighbors and friends have asked if I would cook for their parties. They would pay for my time and probably, I would purchase the food and get reimbursed. I've looked at all the town and county web sites, and there doesn't seem to be anything covering this type of cooking. Do I need any type of permit for this? Thanks for any guidance!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.