The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Salmonella update ... tainted irrigation water (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46767)

BBQ Bandit 07-30-2008 03:27 PM

Salmonella update ... tainted irrigation water

Salmonella update... "smoking gun" ... tainted irrigation water in Mexico.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25935332/

HolySmoke 07-30-2008 03:34 PM

whats next?

Stiltz6ft9in 07-30-2008 03:37 PM

Mad Cow Disease....

HolySmoke 07-30-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiltz6ft9in (Post 699319)
Mad Cow Disease....

start eating more pork, pigs seem to never get mad!!

smoke-n-my-i's 07-30-2008 07:56 PM

"tainted irrigation water"

I have seen lots of that in the U.S. It is "treated" water from the sewage treatment plants and pumped to irrigation systems. Where I used to live in FL, that is what they used to keep the golf course nice and green. I called it natural fertilizer. :rolleyes:

If not treated properly, or if there is some real bad nasties in the water, it WILL end up back into the water system. My, how we trust our government.
They are talking about running treated water back to our cooling towers for us to recycle...... I am not looking forward to going into them to clean them out. It is our annual duty during the winter months.... :evil:

Jax191 07-30-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke-n-my-i's (Post 699510)
"tainted irrigation water"

I have seen lots of that in the U.S. It is "treated" water from the sewage treatment plants and pumped to irrigation systems. Where I used to live in FL, that is what they used to keep the golf course nice and green. I called it natural fertilizer. :rolleyes:

If not treated properly, or if there is some real bad nasties in the water, it WILL end up back into the water system. My, how we trust our government.
They are talking about running treated water back to our cooling towers for us to recycle...... I am not looking forward to going into them to clean them out. It is our annual duty during the winter months.... :evil:

I didn't think they were allowed to use the reclaim/irrigation water on food crops. I hope the hell not at least.

swamprb 07-30-2008 09:16 PM

Keep it out of the waterpans!

Qcrue2U 07-30-2008 11:31 PM

There rally isnt any laws or regulations in Mexico.... :( Maybe in the big cities but...as far as I know... :(

BobBrisket 07-31-2008 12:09 AM

Living right next door to Mexico, I can tell you guys about stories that have popped up in the news about farmers in Mexico using "Agua Negra", (black water) straight from sewage canals to irrigate crops. This stuff isn't even treated. The smaller, poorer areas don't have city sewer rights and channel waste outta homes into canals and ditches. I'm not suprised at all.

Marsha 07-31-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBrisket (Post 699686)
Living right next door to Mexico, I can tell you guys about stories that have popped up in the news about farmers in Mexico using "Agua Negra", (black water) straight from sewage canals to irrigate crops. This stuff isn't even treated. The smaller, poorer areas don't have city sewer rights and channel waste outta homes into canals and ditches. I'm not suprised at all.

I've seen that too. they definitely don't have the regulations we do here.