The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I'm a meat junkie... (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44685)

Plowboy 06-19-2008 12:04 AM

I'm a meat junkie...

Are you like me and just get excited when you find that perfect two pack of pork butts or the perfect "chocolate cake" brisket?

This week, I've been to Sam's Club four times looking through butts, ribs, and briskets. I've got three briskets and two pork butts that I'm just jazzed about for this weekend. My two pack of butts weight 19.56 lbs and look beautiful!! I found a CAB whole brisket tonight that is 2 inches thick in the thinnest part of the flat. The thickest part of the flat is 3 1/2 inches. The best part was the $1.49 price.

Granted, I'll totally screw up these prized cuts this weekend, but I love the hunting and gathering process. Its like I've already won when you find exactly what you are looking for.

I guess I need to mature and find the butcher who will cut me exactly what I want each time. For now, Sam's Club and our sponsor Alewel's is serving our needs just fine. Seeing CAB a lot more often at the KC area Sam's. :eusa_clap

matthew burt 06-19-2008 12:18 AM

I just hope you screw them up worse than I do mine.

matthew burt 06-19-2008 12:19 AM

Is your trailer going to be ready?

KC_Bobby 06-19-2008 06:51 AM

I won't see my pork til tonight when I get to Ankeny. Came to work early to avoid rush hours both ways so I can leave directly from work. I hope to pull the Boonhaugler out of the parking lot at about 2:30 this afternoon and make it to Ankeny by 7:00. I'll be taking my time, no need to hit Des Moines during rush hour.

The Pickled Pig 06-19-2008 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 666854)
Seeing CAB a lot more often at the KC area Sam's. :eusa_clap

Is it actual CAB or Sams fake Angus label?

Big George's BBQ 06-19-2008 09:15 AM

I wish Costco had these prices. I have a local guy that has great meats but at a higher price.

Sledneck 06-19-2008 09:20 AM

Sams here on long island does not have brisket or butts

Plowboy 06-19-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 666990)
Is it actual CAB or Sams fake Angus label?

You think I'm an amateur? :cool: This is not my first time buying a brisket... at least my third. :mrgreen:

The Pickled Pig 06-19-2008 10:41 AM

Which Sams do you shop at Todd?

I love finding good meat to work with. Sometimes I get frustrated because it's more difficult than it ought to be to get good beef, pork, and poultry when we're surrounded by so many farms and processing plants. Finding a good brisket is almost as hard as finding good curley parsley in this town.

Plowboy 06-19-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig (Post 667108)
Which Sams do you shop at Todd?

I love finding good meat to work with. Sometimes I get frustrated because it's more difficult than it ought to be to get good beef, pork, and poultry when we're surrounded by so many farms and processing plants. Finding a good brisket is almost as hard as finding good curley parsley in this town.

Parsley = Price Chopper, South Blue Springs - $.59 a bunch
Parsley = Grow your own like Diva.

I go to Sam's at 95th and 135th in OP and Sam's in Independence. Most days there is nothing and then BLAMO!!!!

DeanC 06-19-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plowboy (Post 667143)
135th in OP

I always find the best briskets here, usually on Saturday or Sunday mornings for some reason.

BBQ_Mayor 06-19-2008 08:55 PM

Happy for you score Todd. Good luck with it.

I got 2 9 lb'ers. Looking forward to cooking them.. I'll post pics after the contest tomorrow,.... or maybe sunday if I'm too tired.

Hey Bobby...I'm about 10min. North of ya. What time you heading to SC?