The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Probe placement in a brisket.... (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40681)

BobBrisket 04-10-2008 04:19 PM

Probe placement in a brisket....

Looking at TexEx's brisket got me thinking about something. Being that a brisket is two separate parts in one. Do they cook at the same rate, or does the point cook slower or faster due to having more fat and collagen in it?
With this in mind, which part is the best place to put the probe. All flat side, all point side. I do it pretty much the same way Tex did it. I start the probe about the half way mark and then push it into the point end. Now that I think about it, it's probably right in that area where the two meet.
How do you all place probes in a brisket?

BBQ Grail 04-10-2008 04:25 PM

I place my probes in the flat. I figure since the point is going back on the smoker for burnt ends it's not as critical as making sure the flat is the proper temp.

It seems to work for me.

Divemaster 04-10-2008 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBrisket (Post 610678)
Looking at TexEx's brisket got me thinking about something. Being that a brisket is two separate parts in one. Do they cook at the same rate, or does the point cook slower or faster due to having more fat and collagen in it?

I normally split my briskets... I find that the point takes a couple of hours longer than the flat. My main reason is so I can get a good bark on the flat!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobBrisket (Post 610678)
With this in mind, which part is the best place to put the probe. All flat side, all point side. I do it pretty much the same way Tex did it. I start the probe about the half way mark and then push it into the point end. Now that I think about it, it's probably right in that area where the two meet.

I actually am getting away from putting a probe into the meat for the duration of the cook to avoid the hole that is left behind... You can figure that it's going to take a good 8 hours before you need to see where it is and then I use the super accurate and fast blue thermopen...

Jester 04-10-2008 04:47 PM

Perfect timing with this question Bob! My temperature probe just arrived yesterday. What stinks is that I have to wait until next week to use it.

Looking forward to seeing additional replies.

Pipin' Pig 04-10-2008 04:58 PM

I do two. One in the flat (I try to get it as close to the center of the flat as possible) and the other in the point.

I did this last night and the point reached 202* when the flat topped out at 188*

Papa Hogg 04-10-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trp1fox (Post 610681)
I place my probes in the flat. I figure since the point is going back on the smoker for burnt ends it's not as critical as making sure the flat is the proper temp.

It seems to work for me.

What he said ^^^^^you don't want the flat to get over-done & dried out.

Smokin Gator 04-10-2008 05:01 PM

I pretty much trim my briskets so the point and the flat will pull apart when the flat is ready. Then I put my probe in the thickest part of the flat.

BobBrisket 04-10-2008 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meanmna (Post 610700)
I do two. One in the flat (I try to get it as close to the center of the flat as possible) and the other in the point.

I did this last night and the point reached 202* when the flat topped out at 188*

Wow, big difference! Then all this time, I've been getting the hotter point temp and the flat was still at a lower temp when I pulled the whole thing!
I may take a stab at separating in two next time.

smoke-n-my-i's 04-10-2008 05:30 PM

You've seen it, now you've heard it....

I also put mine in the middle of the flat. I also don't worry too much about the point as I also make burnt ends out of it for my consumption..... The point will be higher temps as the fat is "boiling"/rendering out. The flat is solid muscle.

I put mine in before I put it on to cook. I use the Maverick ET-73's, and I don't like to keep my top of the cooker open no more than I have to. I put them in, and toss them on the grates, and let them do their thing.

If you looking, or putting probes in, your not cooking..... :rolleyes:

RichardF 04-10-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

It seems to work for me.

Yep - I don't care what the temp is for the point, and I'm only moderatly concerned what the temp is on the flat. I just use it as a guage of when I should start thinking about the other methods I use to see if it's cooked :wink:

Greendriver 04-10-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

It seems to work for me.

This was the first reply to your post I read and it is the only reply you should need IMHO.

txschutte 04-10-2008 09:55 PM

I also try to poke the probe in across the grain. This way, I don't get a hole through a bunch of slices.

watertowerbbq 04-10-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txschutte (Post 610940)
I also try to poke the probe in across the grain. This way, I don't get a hole through a bunch of slices.

that's a really good idea.

ZBQ 04-10-2008 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

You got that right schutte!!

I learned that the hard way!:roll::oops:

That, and I must have been craving a salad that day.:roll:

It turned out to be 7th place brisket though.

BBQ Grail 04-10-2008 11:23 PM

Quote:

Great advice.