The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ABT Question (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34347)

Bossmanbbq 11-29-2007 10:45 AM

ABT Question

So I brought some ABT's to work and of course they were a HUGE hit. Had one of the guys come up to me wanting to buy 100 ABT's for the College Bowl Games :eek:
Just wondering how much you would charge for these, kinda labor intensive so I want to make it worth my time, but on the same note I dont want to overcharge either. Any thoughts or advice?

Jorge 11-29-2007 10:53 AM

What are your costs? Serious question since I've visited places where I've seen insane prices on jalapenos before. Next question is whether or not you have space to cook them all, in one session? If not, price goes up.

With a chili twister, and pastry bag prep should go fairly quickly. If you are going to deliver them frozen/packaged in foodsaver bags then the price goes up again to cover additional time and materials.

Ashmont 11-29-2007 11:09 AM

I think of it this way

Bars around my parts sell fried popper for usually around .50 each. No these are just that poppers ABTs are much better. I go no lower than .75 with the labor and materials. Of course if that doesn't cover go higher. It's time out of your life. IMHO

Cabntmkr1 11-29-2007 12:38 PM

four times the cost of materials...

BBQ_MAFIA 11-29-2007 01:10 PM

How did you reheat the ABTs at the office?
Did you use the Microwave and if so, how long did you reheat?

Brian in So Cal 11-29-2007 03:31 PM

Someone posted at one time they were charging about 2.00 each. They ran a resturant though. I wouldn't do them for less than a dollar. To much labor invoved. I have sold them before for that price.

vr6Cop 11-29-2007 03:40 PM

I can't help on pricing, but I do have a hint for you.

I found peppers earlier this week at an "international" market that were almost a dollar cheaper a pound than at the local grocery stores, and just as good. That will help cut down on costs. :wink:

Mark 11-29-2007 03:54 PM

Same here in STL (Global Foods). Also, try using Poblanos insted and different fillings. Crammed ceam cheese is boring. Sausage and/or chedder be much gooder.

Bossmanbbq 11-29-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ_MAFIA (Post 505824)
How did you reheat the ABTs at the office?
Did you use the Microwave and if so, how long did you reheat?

I placed them in a microwave safe container and then zapped them for about 2 minutes.

Ernie3 11-29-2007 05:17 PM

I would have to say a buck apiece. By the time you go and purchase everything, prepare them and actually finish smoking them you are in for at least a few hours of time. Plus the cost of the ingridients and fuel. Let us know how you make out:wink:

txschutte 11-29-2007 06:02 PM

I would go 1.50ea. These things take forever to make, and they're worth it.

Jeremiah 11-29-2007 06:44 PM

I would have to agree with txschute, 100 ABTs will feed a lot of people. I can't see doing this for any less than $1.50 a piece. Are you stuffing them with any meat or just cheese?

Bossmanbbq 11-29-2007 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremiah (Post 506002)
I would have to agree with txschute, 100 ABTs will feed a lot of people. I can't see doing this for any less than $1.50 a piece. Are you stuffing them with any meat or just cheese?

Cream Cheese stuffed and crowned with a piece of sausage.

Bbq Bubba 11-29-2007 09:39 PM

If they're for some guy's for a game, they'll go $1.50 apiece easy, although that's ALOT of ABT"s :eek:
Shopping and prep will go 3-4 hr's easy............not including smoke time, is it worth $150.00?? If it get's ya some work out of it, maybe!!:wink:

txschutte 11-29-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba (Post 506096)
If they're for some guy's for a game, they'll go $1.50 apiece easy, although that's ALOT of ABT"s :eek:
Shopping and prep will go 3-4 hr's easy............not including smoke time, is it worth $150.00?? If it get's ya some work out of it, maybe!!:wink:

Absolutely, 1.50 is definetely low end. Maybe go 1.75, and sneak in apiece of pork butt so they don't feel cheated. This will also get them hooked on the smoked meats. (Pusher mod)