The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No sugar (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32834)

Mo-Dave 10-17-2007 12:50 PM

No sugar
 
Anyone know of a rub, commercial or homemade without sugar or any other sweeteners added?
Dave

Puppyboy 10-17-2007 12:59 PM

I have one I love on pork. I'll post it when I get home.

keale 10-17-2007 12:59 PM

Dave, I used this once on ribs, it was pretty tasty, I swapped fresh ground black pepper w/ the cayenne.
NCgriimbo has on simalar...Found this on tvwb.

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub 1/3 cup table salt
1/4 cup paprika
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon cayenne
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes about 1 cup.

Sir Smoke A Lot 10-17-2007 12:59 PM

Check the Smoke and Spice Cookbook - I believe they have a couple without sweeteners. I have a "finishing" rub that I sprinkle on my pork after it is pulled that does not have sugar in it. I don't know that I would use it as liberally as I would my standard rub (with sugar).

bbqbull 10-17-2007 01:10 PM

Can Splenda be used as a substitute for sugar?

If you google mainley dave, he made his own rubs using Splenda. This was for weight loss.

Just thinking out loud here, Good luck on your request.

RichardF 10-17-2007 01:11 PM

how about salt and pepper :wink:

NCGrimbo 10-17-2007 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keale (Post 481614)
Dave, I used this once on ribs, it was pretty tasty, I swapped fresh ground black pepper w/ the cayenne.
NCgriimbo has on simalar...Found this on tvwb.

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbecue Rub 1/3 cup table salt
1/4 cup paprika
3 Tablespoons chili powder
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon ground cumin
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon cayenneCombine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Makes about 1 cup.

I believe this is the recipe I started with and have modified some to suit my weird taste. (I removed the cumin for one thing.)

willkat98 10-17-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardF (Post 481625)
how about salt and pepper :wink:

Montreal Steak Seasoning on beef

Puppyboy 10-17-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppyboy (Post 481613)
I have one I love on pork. I'll post it when I get home.

I love this on butts. Once chopped, I sprinkle a little more in.

From Steven Raichlen:

Puerto Rican Pig Powder
1/3 cup course salt
2 tablespoons white pepper
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons parsley
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder

keale 10-17-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppyboy (Post 481660)
I love this on butts. Once chopped, I sprinkle a little more in.

From Steven Raichlen:

Puerto Rican Pig Powder
1/3 cup course salt
2 tablespoons white pepper
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons parsley
1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder

That's an interesting rub, what is the taste/flavor of this? I haven't eaten much Puerto Rican food...

Puppyboy 10-17-2007 03:35 PM

Keale, I think you'll like it. Give it a shot.

Bigmista 10-17-2007 03:53 PM

Here is a basic savory barbecue rub:
Ingredients
4 parts kosher salt
4 parts garlic powder
2 parts black pepper
1 part cayenne



Works on most meat.

Mo-Dave 10-17-2007 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardF (Post 481625)
how about salt and pepper :wink:


Salt, pepper and garlic used to be all I ever used before getting serious about bbq. I have given serious thought to going back to just that.
Dave

vr6Cop 10-17-2007 04:23 PM

Dizzy Pig Cow Lick

Mo-Dave 10-17-2007 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqbull (Post 481624)
Can Splenda be used as a substitute for sugar?

If you google mainley dave, he made his own rubs using Splenda. This was for weight loss.

Just thinking out loud here, Good luck on your request.


I am diabetic but my real motive for taking the sugar out is to try and lighten up my meat color, mostly for ribs and chicken. They always turn out so dark and I am not a big fan of turbonato sugar. I am not sure what Splenda would turn out since its a sugar product.
Dave


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.