The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   roast beef sandwiches (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30773)

chargriller 08-24-2007 02:47 PM

roast beef sandwiches

Howdy All,

I was going to smoke a
roast tomorrow for some sandwiches.

I was thinking after cooking it and bring it back down in temp, I would set it in the fridge till the next day, then use my slicer to make slice / shave it for sandwiches.

So my questions are:

What should be the internal temp?

How should I marinade?

Any other tips.

Thanks

Markbb 08-24-2007 02:54 PM

Beef

I would think 140 internal will do it med. rare thats if you like med. rare, also you can make au ju with the juice, and make a nice horseradish sauce with it and french bread, maybe saute some onions and mushrooms....going to store:-D

chargriller 08-24-2007 03:06 PM

I would love to make a dipping juice, how do I collect the juice?

Markbb 08-24-2007 04:40 PM

Juice

Put a small rack in a alumin. pan and put the beef on the rack, it'll save on alittle clean-up and you'll still get the smoke flavor...saute the onions and mushrooms in the pan or with a cast iron skillet in the smoker!

RichardF 08-24-2007 04:44 PM

Iwouldn't take it above 125-130* Residual heat in a big hunk of meat will get you into the medium rare range no problem.

Norcoredneck 08-25-2007 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markbb (Post 449868)
I would think 140 internal will do it med. rare thats if you like med. rare, also you can make au ju with the juice, and make a nice horseradish sauce with it and french bread, maybe saute some onions and mushrooms....going to store:-D

Ah the visuals. $hit stuck at work eating out of vending machines.

Puppyboy 09-19-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chargriller (Post 449863)
Howdy All,

I was going to smoke a roast tomorrow for some sandwiches.

I was thinking after cooking it and bring it back down in temp, I would set it in the fridge till the next day, then use my slicer to make slice / shave it for sandwiches.

So my questions are:

What should be the internal temp?

How should I marinade?

Any other tips.

Thanks

So how did it turn out?

Got a roast marinating in the fridge since last night and am gonna smoke it this afternoon.

Was gonna smoke it to about 135* then cooler for an hour. After a night in the fridge I was gonna slice her up for sammies. Better yet, an open roast beef sammie with mashed taters & gravy. Great, now I'll really hungry.

Kevin 09-19-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppyboy (Post 465399)
So how did it turn out?

Got a roast marinating in the fridge since last night and am gonna smoke it this afternoon.

Was gonna smoke it to about 135* then cooler for an hour. After a night in the fridge I was gonna slice her up for sammies. Better yet, an open roast beef sammie with mashed taters & gravy. Great, now I'll really hungry.

Sounds about right for a sirloin / tri tip/ round roast, to me. I cook chuck roasts longer, slower, and to a higher temp to allow some of the fat to render.

The_Kapn 09-19-2007 04:36 PM

All the info for slicing is "right on".

For a variation, cook a Chuck Roast (or Brisket for that matter) to 200-205 internal like a Butt for PULLED BEEF!

Great intense beef flavor and works great on sandwiches!

Just a different approach.

Happy Cooking.

TIM

Jorge 09-19-2007 05:14 PM

If you like Italian Beef style check out this thread. Ron_L and Neil both have great recipes that should get you started.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...an+beef+recipe

Norcoredneck 09-19-2007 05:51 PM

Been awhile, how did it come out?

Puppyboy 09-19-2007 06:30 PM

I used a bottom round roast and took it to 150*. I used my ECB and it cooked a little faster than what I was expecting so I missed my earlier target of 135* (stupid warm-ideal-hot temp guage). Still, when I pulled out the temp prob, the juices were still a little bloody. Gonna leave it wrapped in a beach towel on the counter for an hour then put in the fridge and slice in the morning.

CajunSmoker 09-19-2007 06:37 PM

I do a lot of eye of round roasts for sandwich meat. A lot of folks I know don't like their sandwich meat as rare as they do their normal beef so I usually take it to 170* and then wrap it tight and refrigerate it overnight. I will have a slight blush in the center and lots of juice's but not enough to stain your bread red.

keale 09-20-2007 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Kapn (Post 465523)
All the info for slicing is "right on".

For a variation, cook a Chuck Roast (or Brisket for that matter) to 200-205 internal like a Butt for PULLED BEEF!

Great intense beef flavor and works great on sandwiches!

Just a different approach.

Happy Cooking.

TIM

What TIM said, that pulled chuckie mad some great sandwiches!

Puppyboy 09-20-2007 08:06 AM

It sliced up beautifully after a night in the fridge. Had good flavor but there is plenty opf room for improvement.

Over all, not too shabby for my first one done like this.

Gonna make up a gravy with the fat & jelly and serve with some mashed tatters for supper.

Of course, I'll get a little sammie for lunch when no one is looking.