The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   roast beef sandwiches (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30773)

chargriller 08-24-2007 02:47 PM

roast beef sandwiches
 
Howdy All,

I was going to smoke a
roast tomorrow for some sandwiches.

I was thinking after cooking it and bring it back down in temp, I would set it in the fridge till the next day, then use my slicer to make slice / shave it for sandwiches.

So my questions are:


What should be the internal temp?

How should I marinade?

Any other tips.

Thanks

Markbb 08-24-2007 02:54 PM

Beef
 
I would think 140 internal will do it med. rare thats if you like med. rare, also you can make au ju with the juice, and make a nice horseradish sauce with it and french bread, maybe saute some onions and mushrooms....going to store:-D

chargriller 08-24-2007 03:06 PM

I would love to make a dipping juice, how do I collect the juice?

Markbb 08-24-2007 04:40 PM

Juice
 
Put a small rack in a alumin. pan and put the beef on the rack, it'll save on alittle clean-up and you'll still get the smoke flavor...saute the onions and mushrooms in the pan or with a cast iron skillet in the smoker!

RichardF 08-24-2007 04:44 PM

Iwouldn't take it above 125-130* Residual heat in a big hunk of meat will get you into the medium rare range no problem.

Norcoredneck 08-25-2007 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markbb (Post 449868)
I would think 140 internal will do it med. rare thats if you like med. rare, also you can make au ju with the juice, and make a nice horseradish sauce with it and french bread, maybe saute some onions and mushrooms....going to store:-D

Ah the visuals. $hit stuck at work eating out of vending machines.

Puppyboy 09-19-2007 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chargriller (Post 449863)
Howdy All,

I was going to smoke a roast tomorrow for some sandwiches.

I was thinking after cooking it and bring it back down in temp, I would set it in the fridge till the next day, then use my slicer to make slice / shave it for sandwiches.

So my questions are:

What should be the internal temp?

How should I marinade?

Any other tips.

Thanks

So how did it turn out?

Got a roast marinating in the fridge since last night and am gonna smoke it this afternoon.

Was gonna smoke it to about 135* then cooler for an hour. After a night in the fridge I was gonna slice her up for sammies. Better yet, an open roast beef sammie with mashed taters & gravy. Great, now I'll really hungry.

Kevin 09-19-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppyboy (Post 465399)
So how did it turn out?

Got a roast marinating in the fridge since last night and am gonna smoke it this afternoon.

Was gonna smoke it to about 135* then cooler for an hour. After a night in the fridge I was gonna slice her up for sammies. Better yet, an open roast beef sammie with mashed taters & gravy. Great, now I'll really hungry.

Sounds about right for a sirloin / tri tip/ round roast, to me. I cook chuck roasts longer, slower, and to a higher temp to allow some of the fat to render.

The_Kapn 09-19-2007 04:36 PM

All the info for slicing is "right on".

For a variation, cook a Chuck Roast (or Brisket for that matter) to 200-205 internal like a Butt for PULLED BEEF!

Great intense beef flavor and works great on sandwiches!

Just a different approach.

Happy Cooking.

TIM

Jorge 09-19-2007 05:14 PM

If you like Italian Beef style check out this thread. Ron_L and Neil both have great recipes that should get you started.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...an+beef+recipe

Norcoredneck 09-19-2007 05:51 PM

Been awhile, how did it come out?

Puppyboy 09-19-2007 06:30 PM

I used a bottom round roast and took it to 150*. I used my ECB and it cooked a little faster than what I was expecting so I missed my earlier target of 135* (stupid warm-ideal-hot temp guage). Still, when I pulled out the temp prob, the juices were still a little bloody. Gonna leave it wrapped in a beach towel on the counter for an hour then put in the fridge and slice in the morning.

CajunSmoker 09-19-2007 06:37 PM

I do a lot of eye of round roasts for sandwich meat. A lot of folks I know don't like their sandwich meat as rare as they do their normal beef so I usually take it to 170* and then wrap it tight and refrigerate it overnight. I will have a slight blush in the center and lots of juice's but not enough to stain your bread red.

keale 09-20-2007 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Kapn (Post 465523)
All the info for slicing is "right on".

For a variation, cook a Chuck Roast (or Brisket for that matter) to 200-205 internal like a Butt for PULLED BEEF!

Great intense beef flavor and works great on sandwiches!

Just a different approach.

Happy Cooking.

TIM

What TIM said, that pulled chuckie mad some great sandwiches!

Puppyboy 09-20-2007 08:06 AM

It sliced up beautifully after a night in the fridge. Had good flavor but there is plenty opf room for improvement.

Over all, not too shabby for my first one done like this.

Gonna make up a gravy with the fat & jelly and serve with some mashed tatters for supper.

Of course, I'll get a little sammie for lunch when no one is looking.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.