The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   how to make a big hole - needing help from the handy (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28486)

motley que 06-22-2007 08:25 PM

how to make a big hole - needing help from the handy

ok so i am building another drum. instead of all the vents, i want to do something like N8dawd did. I just want 1 big vent. my step bit goes to 1.5 inches, I want to make a 2.5 or 3 inch hole.

My thought is to copy a 3 inch circle onto the drum and just use the bit to make the hole then extend it to make it larger.

thoughts? ideas?

Beerwolf 06-22-2007 08:29 PM

Ive made a decent looking 2 1/2" hole using the edge of my grinder. It wasnt absolutely perfect, but once I welded the tubing in the hole it looked pretty sanitary. Layout your cutting line and make a few passes with the edge of your grinder to make a "pilot". Once you see the steel starting to turn blue, you will know you are almost thru the metal.

jpw23 06-22-2007 08:29 PM

Buy a hole saw:biggrin:

Meat Burner 06-22-2007 08:29 PM

:confused: Maybe it's just me but explain that again...a different way.:confused:

nthole 06-22-2007 08:29 PM

Use an angle grinder or reciprocating saw on a drawn circle. The saw would be easier. Even a jigsaw with a metal blade would probably work.

Grinding out with the bit is going to suck some ass.

motley que 06-22-2007 08:31 PM

i have no power tools, but the drill. thats why i am looking for help

Beerwolf 06-22-2007 08:35 PM

If all youve got is a Drill, go with the hole saw. You can nab one at Harbor Freight for about 5 bucks. I will probably do that job and maybe one more, but it will get her done. Aside from that... the other option is a 20 gauge, if thats too small go with a 16 gauge.:mrgreen:

BBQchef33 06-22-2007 08:36 PM

i vote for the hole saw.. or a roto-tool.

or if thoese are not options, drill lots holes around the circumference, and whack it outt with a ball peen hammer.

But im a big advocate of the right tool for the job. it will save you alot of time, frustration, crappy workmanship and busted knuckles.

Brauma 06-22-2007 08:41 PM

Blue tip wrench

http://www.teamkiss.com/lunch/MOUCUT1.jpg

BBQchef33 06-22-2007 08:43 PM

nice brauma.. im sure we all got one of them in our back pocket. :wink::redface:

Beerwolf 06-22-2007 08:44 PM

One other option is to find an Electrician and make him your best friend in the world and ask if he has any Greenlee punches that go that big. That is what I used on my keg conversions and they are slicker than poop thru a goose

nthole 06-22-2007 08:49 PM

Many holes drilled around the perimeter is probably best then. Then a simple hole saw would probably open it up.

Jigsaws are pretty useful and cheap. If you're in west county pm me and I might be able to get you a tool.

Brauma 06-22-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33 (Post 415592)
nice brauma.. im sure we all got one of them in our back pocket. :wink::redface:

Is that your Blue-Tip wrench or are you just happy to see me?:wink:

Thawley 06-22-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beerwolf (Post 415593)
One other option is to find an Electrician and make him your best friend in the world and ask if he has any Greenlee punches that go that big. That is what I used on my keg conversions and they are slicker than poop thru a goose

That would make the cleanest ho' IMHO. I've had mixed results with ho'saws in steel. Especially big ones. Pretty easy to dull the cheap ones down if you're not careful. Oil the cutting teeth frequently while cutting.

Still, might be easier to find a friendly trademans with a Greenlee punch who'll trade makin' a ho' for a fatty...

MAsQue 06-22-2007 10:16 PM

You could probably get a nibbling tool that will cut 18 guage steel for about $8.