The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What is your average cooking time hours/pound for brisket & butts? (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26717)

bbqneo 05-02-2007 01:27 PM

What is your average cooking time hours/pound for brisket & butts?
 
I have read the "guidelines" for brisket and butts are 1-1.5hr/lb for brisket and ~2hr/lb for butts. I went back through my last 1/2 dozen cook logs and found when I am cooking in a range of 220-250 my 5-6lb brisket flats are taking 2-2.2hr/lb and the 4.5-6lb butts are similar. I had one small brisket (3lb) take less than an hour/lb. Anyone else have any results that are similar or completely different?

qman 05-02-2007 01:50 PM

It has been my experiance that the smaller cuts [brisket and butts] will take much longer on a per pound basis that the larger cuts. I use 1-1.5 hours per pound when doing low-and-slow with big butts-9 pounders, or whole brisket. Of course this is just for estimating cooking schedule. Doneness is determined by feel.

jt 05-02-2007 01:52 PM

Mine have typically run 1-1.5 hrs/lb no matter what the size.

Mooner 05-02-2007 01:54 PM

For me, briskets always take longer than butts for some reason. I typically cook at 225-230 and can usually estimate 1 and 1/2 hours per pound. Butts will be done about 30-60 minutes before briskets will but in the grand scheme of things this really isnt that big of a time lapse.

kickassbbq 05-02-2007 03:56 PM

What?
 
Here I go again.
Briskets and Butts done in 5 hours, no matter how large they are!!!
Fork The Pork!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

bbqneo 05-02-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ (Post 388765)
For me, briskets always take longer than butts for some reason. I typically cook at 225-230 and can usually estimate 1 and 1/2 hours per pound. Butts will be done about 30-60 minutes before briskets will but in the grand scheme of things this really isnt that big of a time lapse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassbbq (Post 388821)
Here I go again.
Briskets and Butts done in 5 hours, no matter how large they are!!!
Fork The Pork!!!!!
Smoke On!!!!!!

I am working on getting a schedule together for my first competition, I do not foil brisket, but I do use a reynolds oven bag; I do foil the butts. I cook both to 190-200 internal temp. I just wanted to see if anyone else had briskets take this long each time?

Sawdustguy 05-02-2007 09:32 PM

Gents,

This is BBQ! The meat will be done when it's done. It depends on it's size and temperature it's cooked at.

Sledneck 05-02-2007 09:47 PM

just buy it precooked its easier

bbqneo 05-02-2007 10:18 PM

Two problems: 1)Contest rules indicate meats must be turned in 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the scheduled time; 2)rules do not allow for precooked meats. Having my family wait for the meat to be done is no problem, but I was simply trying to get some advice from others while I prepare and try to figure out how to get 4 different meats done on time for a contest.

tommykendall 05-02-2007 10:50 PM

I like big butts and briskets - never did small ones. 1-1.5 in the 200 range seems to be the guideline.

qman 05-03-2007 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdustguy (Post 388985)
Gents,

This is BBQ! The meat will be done when it's done. It depends on it's size and temperature it's cooked at.



I think I said that.:lol:





I don't cook for contests, but I do know I could not get away with wandering out onto my patio sometime around maybe 5pm and putting a brisket in the cooker, then telling a houseful of guests that "it will be done when it is done"

Sledneck 05-03-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommykendall (Post 389002)
I like big butts .


mmmmmmmmmmmmm me too!!

Sawdustguy 05-04-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqneo (Post 388992)
Two problems: 1)Contest rules indicate meats must be turned in 5 minutes before to 5 minutes after the scheduled time; 2)rules do not allow for precooked meats. Having my family wait for the meat to be done is no problem, but I was simply trying to get some advice from others while I prepare and try to figure out how to get 4 different meats done on time for a contest.

Neither is a problem. This is how we do it. We start our cooker at 7 PM the night before turn-in. We make sure our cooker is stable and at the cooker is at the temp we want to cook at. Then we put our butts and briskets in. If the meats cooperate they are in a cooler at 7 to 8 am, resting until we need them. We need 3 hours for ribs and chicken so we start cooking them at 8:30. They are both cooked at higher temps so it works out well. We cook 12 to 14 lb packers and 8 lb boston butts. Every piece of meat cooks differently so if your meat cooks slower you may need to wrap it and put it back in the cooker to speed the cooking time.

Puppyboy 05-04-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbqneo (Post 388831)
I am working on getting a schedule together for my first competition...

I did my first comp just last month. I ran out of time because I scheduled my take off times too close to the turn in times and essentially ran out of cooking/resting time. With that in mind, for my next comp, I will start my cooking much earlier.

Roo-B-Q'N 05-04-2007 02:27 PM

Guy what temp do you cook your ribs? I like your timeline and I was right there with you until you said 3 hour ribs.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.