The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sugar in the Rub (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25681)

thunter 04-01-2007 01:34 AM

Sugar in the Rub
 
Hey Brethren,

My ribs turn out great; however, I noticed that they are darker than most of the turn-in boxes I see. I have been told it is the sugar and/or brown sugar in the rub. What are your thoughts on this? I really want some nice-looking ribs as well as great tasting!

Here is a pic of some ribs that tasted awesome and had a good "competition tug" to them while eating; however, I am not satisfied with the color. Also, do you think the meat is pulled too far up on the bones?

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/8...6011pu9.th.jpg

Pig Headed 04-01-2007 10:41 AM

Tony, I like the darker color of the ribs and I don't mind the bones showing. Just MHO.

icemn62 04-01-2007 11:15 AM

I don't compete, but I would be proud to put my name next to those ribs.

River City Smokehouse 04-01-2007 11:37 AM

You can use Turbinado sugar and they won't be as dark. The raw Turbinado sugar has a higher burn temp. so you have more time and temp. to play with. Stay away from the refined or molasses sugars if you want a lighter colored product.

we'll smoke u 04-01-2007 12:00 PM

thunter what I have done to tone down the color of my ribs is to foil them but when I foil them I dont foil tight. I set the ribs on the foil and pull the foil up but leave it open some what at the top so not to steam them. I smoke them to the color I like and them foil.Hope these pics help.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...q/DSC01125.jpg


http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...q/DSC01124.jpg

scottyd 04-01-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we'll smoke u (Post 372600)
thunter what I have done to tone down the color of my ribs is to foil them but when I foil them I dont foil tight. I set the ribs on the foil and pull the foil up but leave it open some what at the top so not to steam them. I smoke them to the color I like and them foil.Hope these pics help.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...q/DSC01125.jpg


http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...q/DSC01124.jpg

what kind of ribs are those??

Meat Burner 04-01-2007 12:04 PM

Scott, how long did you smoke that flatiron to get that rich bark? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

thunter 04-01-2007 02:57 PM

Scott, thanks, that is very helpful!

DaChief 04-01-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meat Burner (Post 372603)
Scott, how long did you smoke that flatiron to get that rich bark? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Flat iron??? I think that's a Murse. Better take it off as it looks pretty done!

we'll smoke u 04-01-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaChief (Post 372702)
Flat iron??? I think that's a Murse. Better take it off as it looks pretty done!

Thats not a murse it's an attache case LOL. I didn't have any ribs laying around so I used my wifes day planner and man did it taste good.

DaChief 04-01-2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we'll smoke u (Post 372748)
Thats not a murse it's an attache case LOL. I didn't have any ribs laying around so I used my wifes day planner and man did it taste good.

Just kiddin...no offense takin hopefully :-D I do appreciate you takin the extra effort to demonstrate!

cmcadams 04-02-2007 09:35 AM

I don't put any sugar in my rib rub at all anymore. I add it when I foil, and then add honey to the sauce just before finishing. Tony, you may remember our ribs in Carmel last year... Good, but just a bit too dark. I decided to try it, and we've been consistently better since then, even won a 5th place at a comp with them.

Mooner 04-02-2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse (Post 372587)
You can use Turbinado sugar and they won't be as dark. The raw Turbinado sugar has a higher burn temp. so you have more time and temp. to play with. Stay away from the refined or molasses sugars if you want a lighter colored product.

^
l
l
l
l
What he said

thunter 04-02-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcadams (Post 373159)
I don't put any sugar in my rib rub at all anymore. I add it when I foil, and then add honey to the sauce just before finishing. Tony, you may remember our ribs in Carmel last year... Good, but just a bit too dark. I decided to try it, and we've been consistently better since then, even won a 5th place at a comp with them.

I do remember that. I am going to try a batch of my rub with sugar and see what happens.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.