-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (
-   -   Cooker certification? (

Napper 01-18-2007 06:18 PM

Cooker certification?
I have a question.

Is there any type of food service inspection or certification for a BBQ smoker used to cook food served to the public?

If I want to cook "Q" in 55 gal. drums is anyone from the health department going to inspect my drums? Is there a standard for construction for smokers?

As long as it is clean is that all that matters?

chad 01-18-2007 06:24 PM


For big 'uns like Southern Pride, Cookshack, etc. you'd need UL approval for the wiring - I know the FEC500 and FEC750 are NSF and UL approved.

Most other cookers have not been offered up for inspection - both UL and NSF are voluntary...though well worth it for the commercial builders that expect their equipment to be used "indoors".

Clean would be the main consideration - assuming an inspector ever tracked you down.

Kevin 01-18-2007 06:39 PM

Chad hit it on the nose. NSF certification is not mandatory. Sure makes the inspector easier to deal with though.

bbqjoe 01-18-2007 07:46 PM

I'm sure I posted on this subject somewhere.
But our health inspector is primarily designated to the inside of the building.
I could probably cook in a shopping cart, and much wouldn't be said.
The only thing AZ law says about outdoor cooking is that it can't be served outdoors directly from a grill or smoker.
It has to be brought inside to be served, then the individual can take it outside and eat it if they want.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.